Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Tools

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Aug 15, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

In about a month or so I'm going to buy a new air compressor and air tools. I don't want to spend a ton of money either. What are some suggestions about brand, lbs. of torque, and stuff like that?

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

I just bought a new compressor from Sears about 2-3 weeks ago. It is a 6 hp, 33 gallon tank, "Sears Professional" for about $269, I also bought an impact driver and an air ratchet also. But the sockets were way too expensive at Sears. I bought the sockets at Autozone, they are the Greatneck brand which is pretty good. They were about 1/3- 1/4 the cost of the Sears brand, and they are lifetime warranty as well. I have seen cheaper compressors at some of the hardware stores, but I don't know the quality of these products. This is a fairly big compressor for home. At the minimum you would want a 5hp, 20 gallon, but the compressor might be running a lot.

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too got a Sears one, they have the new 'oil free' style.
    Seams to work just fine and if I ever have troubles Sears is preety good about warrenty stuff. I got the stand up kind cuz I have enough stuff laying around as it is.
    I still need Tools just have a ratchet fer now.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have the craftsman 5.5 horse, 33-gallon compressor. I like it[​IMG]. I'd spend the extra beans on the craftman stuff, it's worth it. They'll replace anything, no questions asked.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

5. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

This goes against all the other replies to your post, but DO NOT buy anything Craftsman that is a power tool. ALL THEIR TOOLS SUCKK!!! The only good thing is that their hand tools are unconditionally guranteed. The power tools dont have the same gurantee. I had a Craftsman reciprocating saw - it broke, SEARS wouldnt warrantee it so I bought a Milwuakee SAWZ-ALL... Never been happier. Had a Craftsman drill, quite after one project and SEARS wouldnt warrantee it.. bought a DeWalt and never been happier. I also had a Craftsman air roofing nailer - used it for a couple of jobs and was a piece of [censored].. I was able to take that back and bought a Stanley Bostitch air nailer... Never been happier. Shall I go on?

Anyway, get either a Cambell Hausfield or DeVillibis air compressor. I personally have had both and prefer Devillibis. Dont go with the oil-free design. Go with the one that uses oil... Its a little more money, but will out last probably a good 2-3 times. As for air tools, DeVillibis makes alot of nice ones. If you went for something like an impact, however, I would actually maybe get a higher end one.. I dont really have any suggestions for that. I have an older than dirt impact that is Millaukee Pneumatic brand, but its not that powerful.

But, STAY AWAY FROM CRAFTSMAN!!!!

Hope this helps....

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project
    http://www.4chevy.com

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I forgot to mention they dont replace power tools. I was refering to the impact sockets. I would recommend going with DeWalt, Milwaukee, Lincoln etc. for good power tools. I had a craftsman drill a while back, now I have a DeWalt. I like the DeWalt better.

[​IMG]

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Mudfrog

I can't tell you what to buy but I can tell you what NOT to buy!! DO NOT buy cheap JUNK like COLEMAN POWERMATE. I tried to get what I thought was a deal and bought the matched Coleman "kit" that included compressor, 60'hose, impact gun, air chuck, and tire inflator. The ONLY thing it's any good for is inflating tires. The impact gun can't torque a lug nut to more than 55 ft-lbs!!

Whatever you buy, don't get cheap! It'll only cost you in the end. I spent $400 plus tax and now I've got to save up for a REAL compressor!! Live and Learn!

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I usually buy just about everything Craftsmen and I have always been happy.
    My dad and brother burnt up my new Dremel a few years back and it was very old, I took it back and they gave me a new one. About a year later they did it again(I made them get their own after this!) and they gave me a new one again.
    I have one of their Industrial Sawzalls, drills, circular saws, Jig saw, and cordless drill and have never had a problem.

Sears is always great to deal with.

I also have about 5 friends with Craftsman compressors and they all work great with no complaints!

I havenever tried their air tools though.

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. 65FL

65FL Registered Member

First you need to ask yourself the question: "What am I going to do it with it?"
    The most common uses for home use are impact wrenchs, air wrench, cut-off/grinding tools etc.

Look at these tools and figure out what is the SCFM rating. Most tools need around 3-5 SCFM
    at 90PSI. Look at the rating on your compressor. Will it meet what you want to do?

As a general rule of thumb if you are just going to be using impact and air wrenches with
    some light grinding, you will not a large compressor. Look for something that will sustain
    5-7 SCFM at 90 PSI.

If you are going to be doing body work, this means sanders etc. Get a bigger compressor,
    they tend to use more air. You might even need to go to a dual stage. This will cost money.

Do not look at horsepower rating, it means nothing. Look at the SCFM @ 90 PSI. The bigger
    number is better.
    Type of compressor. You have 2 basic choses.
    1. Direct drive, oil-less. They are less expensive, will not last as long, and are
    basically throw aways. If you are not going to be doing a lot with it, it is a fine
    choice.

2. Belt drive, oil lubricated. Cost a little more, they last longer and can easily be
    rebuilt. The output will be a little dirtier, so if you are going to be painting you
    will need a decent set of filters on it. Generally have a higher SCFM raiting.

The best brand is probably Ingersoll-Rand, but is more compressor
    than most people need for home use. A lot of people have good luck with
    Craftsman, but buy by the SCFM rating. Boy I can't seem to say that enough.

Air tools.
    Buy the best Impact wrench you can. Ingersoll-Rand makes a decent one with
    about 600 ft/lbs reverse torque rating. ~$180 street price. Don't skimp here.
    Buy the best. I didn't and was sorry. My new IR is on it's way.

Air wrench. Look at the size of the tool and its torque rating. Buy what works for
    you. You may need a couple.

The best brands are Ingersoll-Rand and Chicago Pneumatic. You won't go wrong
    with these. It the tool will see light use you can buy cheap.

Basically what is your tool buying philosophy? I usually try to buy the best if I
    will be using it a lot. I hate cheap tools. I would rather save up for it, than waste
    my money on something that is inadequate.

Good luck and have fun. Air tools are a blast.

Sorry for the pun,
    65fl

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok...
    I love Craftsman and their service, but I am VERY open to other brands as long as I can afford it.

Basically I will be using my tools probably 3-4 times a week, so it won't be a whole lot. I will be using an Impact wrench, and the other more common tools. I would like to get a decent tank with a little bit of room to expand. I won't be doing body work, although I might attempt it every once and a while, and painting has crossed my mind but it's not a deffinite.

I need something that will break a rusted nut, if it's cheap and it works...I like it. I'd prefer not to get the very best because of money issues, and I just plain don't need it for what I'll be doing. I'll be doing stuff like changing shocks and leaf springs on mine and friends 4x4's. I'm a weekend mechanic so half of the stuff ya'll use yours for will probably never see my garage.

I appreciate the help and keep the ideas comming. [​IMG]

89 K5 Silverado

11. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i also have a sears 30gal. 5.5hp. compressor. It came with the 3/8" rachet which is off of there professional line, 50' hose, sprayer and, accessory kit. But all the air tools i buy for it are Ingersoll-Rand. YEah there $$ but man they last forever. I needed some deep impact sockets for my impact wrench. Well there is a home depot really close to my house and got really nice impact set of sockets that have a lifetime warr. (Huksy Brand)

12. lukers

lukers Registered Member

I just geared up with air. After alot of research on the compressors. I went with a Campbell Hausfeld 6.5 HP Cast Iron Oil 220v/15 amps.(Three year warranty) The drawback was getting the wiring done. CFM is what you want to pay attention to when looking at your needs. Most compressors will provide the 90 PSI or more your tools will need. The CFM rate is what you should pay attention to. AS you shop for your air tools look at these ratings. Consider your needs and plan your compressor around that. Get one that you have the power for. (Some are 110 others 220). Leave a little room for increased demand. (Arggh Argghh Arr)
    Hope this has helped
    Luke K-10 = K-5 + C-10

13. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I find you can skimp on air tools such as grinders and air hammers but as far as impacts and air rachets i believe nothing beats an upper end tool.. Snap-on, Matco, etc....
    Im a firm beliver in that you get what you pay for!!!
    good luck!!

14. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

The coleman power mate is made by cambell hausfeld and you should'nt use an impact to tighten lug nuts anyway. You also need to make sure you have an compresor big enough and one that put out enough cfm for the tools you are using. When buying a 220-240 volt compressor make sure your electrical service can handle this and you have an outlet were you are going to put the compresor. Most newer homes have 200 amp services so you should be allright. P.S. MY COLEMAN POWER MATE WITH ACC. WAS ONLY 275 PLUS TAX. NEVER ANY TROUBLES AND HAVE USED IT QUITE A BIT OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS. Mine was a 5.5hp with 20 gallon tank.

15. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

I'm with Derek on the oil-less direct drive, my buddy over heated his painting .We used a DeVillibis oiler after that , worked effortlessly and it was a hell of a lot quieter.

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Can you get a good compressor using 110? My garage is set up for 220. I'm sure I can get 220 ran into it, but I'm trying to save a little money.

89 K5 Silverado

17. 65FL

65FL Registered Member

Yes, a 110 volt compressor is fine. You can get a Cambell Hausfield Extreme Duty
    Oil lubed compressor with a 5.8 scfm @90 PSI rating. This will handle most air tools.
    $360.

In comparison the same series of compressor by CH but with a 230V motor will
    provide 9.1 SCFM at 90PSI. $400.

Common air tool needs:
    1/2" Impact Wrench 4-5 SCFM
    3/8" Air Ratchet 4 SCFM
    1/4" Air Ratchet 3 SCFM
    1/4 HP Die Grinder 4 SCFM
    4/5 HP Die Grinder 9-20 SCFM
    Straight Line Air Sander 8-12 SCFM
    Random Orbit Sander 8-11 SCFM

So lets say you buy the cheaper 110V CH compressor. You can still
    run the sanders, but will end up taking more breaks waiting for the
    compressor to catch up. But if you go the cheaper route and buy a
    $250 oil-free compressor you run the risk of burning it up if you use
    a sander. Meaning that the cast iron, oil lubed model can handle being
    run continously, the aluminum cylinder, oil free compressor cannot.

Why do I like IR? I am a little biased, my father was the editor for compressed
    air magazine (a small rag devoted to industrial air use and financed by IR).
    Check out this spec.
    60 Gallon, 230V single phase 15 SCFM@175PSI (which works out to about ~20@90PSI)
    $990 bucks. I know this is out of your range, but it is what I am saving for.

To me it seems that it is more important to buy a cast iron, oil lubed unit than
    the brand. This technology is old. There is not much difference between them
    in the $300 - $400 price range. Or in other words, buy the features, not the brand
    name.

Have fun.
    65fl

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

19. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I currently have the largest non-professional sears model. The upright one. It seems to do "ok" with impact and air hammer. But a grinder will out run it in no time. I wish I would have spent the money and got the larger one. As far as tools, if it doesn't say IR (Ingersal Rand) on it, its JUNK!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

20. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status