Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Airbag replacement????

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 84CUCV, Mar 20, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Just need a airbag or is there other stuff that goes a long with it? thanks mike

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

just the airbag usually, sometimes the module, check with your chevrolet dealers body shop.. they will tell you for sure..

3. 84CUCV

thanks

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Did it deploy for some reason? or is something on the wheel just messed up and you want to replace it?

5. 84CUCV

yes, it did deploy. still looking too.

mike

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

If it deployed, then the whole airbag system needs to be serviced, that is pretty pricey from what i have heard, but you may be able to shop around for someone to get it serviced.
    There is usually the switch up front somewhere, then there's an air canister that uses some special gas in it, and of course the airbag setup in the wheel.
    I used to drive tow trucks, and whenever i'd pick up a car with the bag deployed and deliver it to dealers or body shops, they'd usually total out the car, i guess also depending on the amount of damage caused. if it was not much in your case, and all body damage was fixed by you, then you may get away with it on the cheaper side.
    Check with body shops, the dealer on having it "serviced" is all i can say about it.
    You probably could just reinstall a new steering wheel with the bag setup in it, but naturally it wouldn't deploy if it was in another frontal collision.