Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Airbags in the rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jul 19, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Could you put a couple of airbags on your rear suspension to level the truck if had a little bit of sag. In my particularr case, I wouldn't want to add any more leaves to the springs or go with a longer shackle (I have a shackle flip in the rear). Would the addition of some airbags give the extra lift and maybe make it ride smoother? I really don't know if it would even be worth the time and money to do something like this.

Thoughts?

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I could see using airbags for towing to keep the truck level. I have seen some one off machines that use them at all for corners and are fully adjustable. They can pick up one tire off the ground while the other stay put. Just a thought.

Kris

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I have an idea about building a REALLY soft suspension for offroad that also has airbag assist on it.

The idea is to have one spring rate (soft) when I wheel, and then when it's time to drive on the street, put some air in the airbag-assist portion to effictively increase the spring rate of the suspension. That way it will/should drive normally on the street.

The thing I don't fully understand yet is if there is a damper (shock) that will be effective for both configurations, or if that will somehow need to be adjustable also.....

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ....if only I had unlimited time and unlimited $$$.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

don't go air over static, just go air and fourlink. most guys think that its safe to go air over static but forget that the static spring will not cooperate with the airspring unless they are matched. if they are matched, then they are no longer adjustable for off and on road handling. air over fourlink with an adjustable shock like the rs9k series would be best. the hassle of configuring a spring ride to be effective while using airbags to support a vehicle creates loads of axle wrap and unsafe spring pack expansion. its possible to do it, though. it will require the steel springs positioning and respnse rate being matched to the air spring. the travel arch being matched by a wrap limiter, wrap eliminator or torque tube, and a fully adjustable shock system.
    i have 1/2 ton springs and 7500 lb air bags on my crew cab dually. i had to create my own wrap eliminators. i am also running the 9k shocks. it will be alot easier to do a 3, 4 or 5 link rear and run bags and shocks alone. trust me.