Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aircraft mechs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Jul 5, 2005.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Well I know there are a couple of us on here. Hell, there used to be a guy called "A&P". So what do you do? G/A, commercial, Mill, ect. What is your discipline? Sheethmetal, hydraulics, avionics, ect. Do you like what you do?

Since I asked I'll go 1st. I've done a little bit of every thing except G/A. I worked C-130s in the U.S.M.C and at Lockheed-Martin (I also worked on the F-22 at L-M), B707/E8Cs at Northrop-Grumman, G-Vs & G-IV SPs at Gulfstream, my last job was at Delta working the MD-11, MD-88, B727, B737, B757, B767, & B777.

I have, for the the most part, always done something to do w/ Avionics so I never bothered to get an A or P license. With the # of guys laid off right now I figured it was time to get certified. So I went to the local school. I'm almost done w/ that and I'll be looking for a job again soon.

When things are good, they are great and when they are bad, they suck! Some the best times I had were working the C-130 J flight test program at L-M and doing "letter checks" on wide-bodies at Delta.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was Avionics on 130's, 141's, C-5's, KC-135's, A-7D's and my favorite A-10's. Didn't stay with it after I got out though.

3. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

no mech, but i'm a tweak (at) on f/a-18 A-F's (hornets and super hornets)....

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

11 years in the Corps maintaining the CH-53E.
    6 months working on S-61 rotor heads for a heavy-lift company.
    A couple months working for a helicopter manufacturer, doing final assembly on a new model of helicopter.
    Most of my experience is mechanical - flight controls, engines and transmissions, fuel systems, etc. Some hydraulics, but not much electrical; they're the areas I've really got to study up on.

Presently I'm in A&P school, but just for Powerplants. I got my "permission slips" from the FSDO for Airframe and General from my military experience. Should graduate in December, and take my tests in January.

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

6 years in the Marine Corps. I'm a avionic electrician on the Harrier. Overall I like what I do.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one around here who's back in school for the A & P, I crewed f-16a's in the mid 80's, and am finally going to get my A&P.
    I'll proll get my airframe cert in january and finish powerplant in october 06
    I'm in the middle of finals week for airframe 1240 (sheetmetal) right now as we speak. :rolleyes:

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There are a few guys I go with who were former mill. When I got out in
    '97 everyone was hiring so I never woried about an A&P. Now it seems like its a requirement just about everywhere. I finnish school 9-21-05 and plan to have my tickets by Oct 1. I haven't decided where I want to work after I finish school, though.

8. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i worked on a Tamaya for a little while :haha:

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

11 1/2 yrs electro-mechanical in the Air Force. Worked C-5's mostly, but a little of just about everything bigger than a 737...