Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Airing down tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masher, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Is there anything out there that you can screw onto your valve stem and have it depress the valve to automatically air down your tires?? Something like that would be a lot faster than sitting there holding the valve down with a tire gauge on all 4 tires.

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

yes there is a tire deflator comes as key chain. It has 4 little things that screw onto your vavle stems that will let you deflate all 4 at one time....bought mine at 4wheelparts....Jason

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I always just remove the valve cores, I carry a valve core remover at all times, so it makes airing down very fast.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I use the Staun Tyre Deflators from Austrailia. They work all the way down to 5 psi! Can be bought on Ebay for around $45 for the set.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm going to give these a try. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. samiam

samiam Registered Member

I use the end off old tire pumps, available at most yard sales, cheep...the only negative is that airing down sometimes goes too far.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am with Bigmack, I just remove the cores for a few seconds and then replace it and check the pressure. THen repeat this until I hit the desired pressure. CHeap and easy!

8. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Emmettology,

Great pic of Special Ed! Yeah!!!! Yeah!!!!

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The fastest way I have found is to get a valve core tool and just pull out the core. I have also tried one of the basic screw-on type deflators but it was very slow in airing down. Another guy in our club just uses a clip-on air chuck. Speaking of this I just saw in one of the magazines where they took a clip-on chuck and attached it with a T fitting, the fitting had an air guage on one side. You just clipped it on and when you want to check the pressure just hold your finger over the open end.

10. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

That sounds pretty trick. I'd like to see a picture or a diagram of that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

you don't need to replace the valve core to check the tire pressure...I just check the pressure without the core as it deflates, when its about 3 PSI too high I put the core back in and fine tune the pressure.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just leave my tires at 20 psi all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah I pretty much leave the onroad tires at 28psi or so, and keep my offroad only ones at 15. dont need no stinkin deflators! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

14. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Those Klune deflators look pretty sweet but I bet they're not cheap /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Has anybody tried to just a petcock or valve to their rim? You could still check the air pressure with a guage while at the same time dump air FAST (maybe?) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to give these a try. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the Klune-V Deflators.. They are great..

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm with everybody else in that I just take out the core. It airs down real quick. I got some metal caps from the parts store that have the core removal tool on the end of it. Cheep, hard to loose, and if you do loose one you still have 3 more.

17. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the responses guys. I just ordered a set of the Stuans. A little expensive but worth it in the time savings. I like that I can screw them on and then do something else while all 4 deflate.

18. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the Klune-V Deflators.. They are great..

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear they do. They looked like they would from the literature I received from KluneV. Did you use your existing valve stem whole or drill a new one? I think I might drill a seperate one for the KluneV deflators.

Eric