Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

airing down.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tree_entz, Jun 22, 2004.

1. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

I know this is a well traveled subject so I'll be brief.
    36x12.5x16 tsl radials (10ply and they're like E-rated or whatever [heavy load]), short box and 3/4ton axles just to give a rough estimate for heft.
    been running them @ 28-30 on road and wearing great.
    over the weekend aire down to 16 psi, boy what a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    only prob was I almost lost a bead on a hard rut.
    SO: is this too little tire pressure, or was that most likely a fluke thing? Feedback please.....

2. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

feedback.....? 16 psi too low? 10" rims make a difference?

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

If it was a 16.5 inch tire, that might be too low, but on a 16 inch rim 16 pounds should not be too low. I would chalk it up to a fluke, especially since you didnt actually blow the bead. I hear guys running like 5 to 8 lbs, so 16 should be way safe.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

prolly just a fluke, I know people that run 6psi on 39.5 x 14 x 16 on 6.75 rims

5. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    some dudes on the side of the trail heard a quick 'psshhht'
    but i just cleaned the mud out from the gap and continued and by the end of the ride the bead was against the rim again. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on it to make sure there's not crap in there though. seems to be holding air fine.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Thats pretty common for the bead to burp every now and then when aired down. 8" rims will hold a bead better than 10" but you should be fine driving slow with 15 psi or lower. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It is probably more of an issue due to the 10" wheels. I run my 37x1250x15 MTR's at 12-14 psi on rocks and haven't had a problem yet, I do have 8" wheels though. Most people with a 1250 tire run an 8" rim for this reason (it does wear the center of the tire more though)

8. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I used to run a 36x14x15 tire on 10" rims on a K5. I would air them down to 2.5-3 psi in the snow and didn't have much trouble with loosing the bead. Durring normal (Dry) trail work I would run 10 psi or so.

Alot depends on your accual rim size, safety bead size and tire bead stringth.

When you air down you just need to drive a little different and be aware of what will push off a tire bead.