Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Airport Security

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by StoneyK5, Jul 15, 2002.

1. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Almost 150 years. ago, President Lincoln found it necessary to hire
    > a private investigator - Alan Pinkerton - for protection. That
    > was the beginning of the Secret Service. Since that time federal police
    > authority has grown to a large number of multi-letter agencies -
    > FBI, CIA, INS, IRS, DEA,BATF, etc.
    > Now comes the "Federal Air Transportation Airport Security Service."
    > Can't you see them now, these highly trained men and women in
    > their black outfits with their initials in large white letters across
    > their backs: "FATASS." I feel safer already.
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif heard it before but you told it better LOL

3. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

I'm sure this is just a joke and all in good fun, but here is my .02 on the whole deal.

Right now, the airport security personnel are untrained people off the streets who can barely speak english half the time. They give them a few classes on what a something might look like on an X-ray machine and send them out to watch the screens. Hmmm....... makes me feel safe.

What they are trying to do now is take people from federal/military jobs, especailly those with a background in Explosive Ordnance Disposal/Bomb Squad(EOD) They are asking specifically for EOD experience in the jobs aps now. So who would really make you feel safer, the guy off the streets, or the guy that has put 4-30 years of service in a field where X-ray intrepretation is common place? I think thats a no brainer. Also, last time I checked, I don't work with too many fata$$'s, though there are a few that slip through the cracks. Buy hey, how good of shape does one need to be in to watch (or supervise the ones watching) a screen all day. All this being said, it is a job I would never consider, even with the pay they are offering (Somewhere along the lines of $60,000 to start EOE of course). Talk about boring.

Now after having said all that, I'm not trying to jab back at anyone. I'm just trying to inform you of what is really happening with airport security. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Mmmmmk.. I used to work for a major carrier in Vegas for 8 years, so I do know alot about the way security was, before I quit all that BS and walked away, moved up here. After I moved here I would fly somewhere 2 - 4 times a year, just like when in Vegas except it was a lot more flying time then. I haven't been back at an airport for nearly a year now and prolly won't for some time. I use the train or drive the motorhome. So I really don't know firsthand about how security is now, just what I read or hear about. That being said..it was just a joke. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. crithke

crithke Registered Member

well, i just went and came back from rockland, maine, and i'll tell ya, that the security in augusta (the airport in maine i flew to/from, a small rundown place) was better than in Charlotte. It was a lil twin prop plane. I had to put my shoes through the scanner, and get frisked twice because for some reason my ankle and my jeans caused the detector to go off. Not to mention the fact that they searched every single person's carry on. It was insane.... In Charlotte, all we had to do was go through the metal detector.

This means that twin prop planes get more attention to security than a 737

beautiful....

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

When my wife and I were coming back from Lake Tahoe I got profiled at Reno airport. Had to take off my shoes, undo my pants, and empty out my pockets. Kinda pissed me off, but I guess they had to do it. I look like a terrorist. 6'5" 255, clean cut, etc. Yeah, really dangerous. Haha.

7. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

How's this for profiling? I was flying home a few weeks ago. Usually they won't do the extra searches on military personnel if they are on orders or leave. They asked a guy in front of me to step aside for the extra search. He showed them his Mil I.D. and they let him continue on unsearched. Now, from what I've seen (I fly a lot for my job)they will usually take the next person in line. Well, the next guy in line was Arabic. The security guy looked him in the eyes, looked down at his own feet, and let him pass, unsearched and proceded to search the next guy in line. A clean-cut man in his 60's? It looked to me as if he was afraid to search the arabic man to avoid any possible conflict or accusations of racial profiling. Now, I don't know the real reason for him doing what he did, but it seems screwy to me. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif