Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ajustable thermastat for electric fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Nov 23, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I picked up mine today from auto zone, I am jst wondering why I have not heard of any body using this when they do the fan swap?

24.99 for mine, seems like a simple install too.

Just wondering /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have wondered that too. When I get an electric fan i'm going the same route. I'm only using it for aux. cooling though.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Whats the point of an adjustable fan thermostat? Once it's set, your vehicle/fan should run at the same temperature all the time.

There is a pretty wide variety of fan temp switches from 160 to 230* or so, if you want the vehicle to run at a temp inbetween those, get the right switch and be done with it.

That's my opinion anyways, can't see the reason for an adjustable fan temp switch. Whether ambient air is hot or cold, coolant temp of 195* is still 195*.

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I have one its great can have the fans come on @ 210 in the winter to give me heat and in the summer have em come on @ 180, I do have a manual fan switch also, becuase I dont trust the electric one, So if im getting warm and they havent kicked in I can hit em manually ( havent had to yet) I also have a led wired in to the 12v+ to the fan so I know if they are on or not with out turning down the radio.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm actually going t to put 2 for a totale of three fans all on different thermostats.
    #1 is the factory that comes on at 210.
    #2 will come on around 185
    #3 come on around 195.
    That's on the 88 454 burb.

On the 75 I will have 2 with the first comming on at 180 and the second 190.

Now here is the score! I went to a yard sale sunday because I noticed a set of 92 or so GM truck buckets. Guy use to have a big 72 K5. Well I tried to buy the consol off the guy but he didn't want to break up the seats so no go.

Guy worked as a mechanic for a Dodge dealer. One car that is actually a Mitsu gets the A/C installed at the dealer and they swap out the fan. SO this guy had been collecting them. I bought 5 fans that are 16 inch diameter for $15.00 They all work.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm with Dorian on this too - we used a non-adjustable one on my TPI/electric fan conversion and it ran 195* year round. No need to mess with it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Summit has a Temp gauge with a relay output to turn on fans
    at whatever temp you program it for.

Just thought someone might be interested.

8. supersize75

this is arizona!!!

I'll ba sitting on tarmac in bumper bumper traffic, I would like to keep cool as posable, and the elect thermastat takes care of the wires and relays too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I also plan to do a motor swap in the next 6 months, so on may need a different setting then the other /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll ba sitting on tarmac in bumper bumper traffic, I would like to keep cool as posable, and the elect thermastat takes care of the wires and relays too

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see the one posters comment of changing how much heat you get out of the heater, albeit an odd way to go about that. If you want the truck to run cold, put a 160* t-stat in it, huge radiator, efficient fan, and a 165* t-stat. Variable temperature switch will do nothing that a single position switch can't do, except adjust (possibly) what temp the new engine might run at. If cooling is insufficient, no matter what temp the fan switches on, the engine will still overheat.

Getting pre-bundled stuff is overrated I think. If your pre-bundled switch breaks or fails, how much to replace, and can you do replace it the same day, in a town with only one autoparts store? Using factory stuff typically allows you to get pieces a lot easier than if you use "off the wall" parts.

Don't know why one engine would like a different setting than another. If you want both to run at 195* (for instance) the entire coolant system should be up to the task. A cooler temp setting of the fan can only increase the amount of time it takes for the engine to heat up beyond what the t-stat is rated for (approx.) if the engine size is greater than the cooling system can handle, but once it reaches the t-stat temp level, nothing but increased cooling can change the engnie temp. So you'd have to have a variable speed FAN, not a variable fan temp switch. And since a fan with fixed blade pitch is at maximum efficiency at one RPM, a variable speed fan is less than optimum for an engine that runs hot anyways.

10. supersize75

ahh, I got ya now, but I alraedy have it sooo...

Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i got one on my taruas fan set up. it was nice to be able to tweek it to the exact point i wanted. i have this hooked up to the low speed on the fan so i only comes on when needed and i have the high speed hooked to another switch so if i'm stuck on a trail and low is not enough i can just turn the low speed switch off and turn on high.