Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AK-47 questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 19, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I didn't want to hijack TSGB's thread...

Surfing around the site he bought from, I found this:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.../1410?osCsid=69817be460b7c3d35bf0fccadcd9d3d5

It's a complete parts kit minus the receiver and mag, and doesn't require FFL to ship to. Could I buy that kit, then buy a receiver and mag and have a complete legal AK? The kit says repair or replacement only, so is the serial number on the receiver?

Reading that thread got me fired up to get an AK again (not that I've had one before, but I've wanted one before). I'm not averse to building one as long as I don't have to accurately machine anything, but I don't want to own anything illegal. I will very likely be carrying it in my truck to the range often, and don't want legal complications if I have a wreck or something one day (you can't ride around with rifles in your truck on Long Island :D ). Well, that's beside the fact that I have no interest in breaking the law...

So if that kit requires I already own one, does anyone know where I can find a kit that doesn't, for around the same price? I'd love to pick one up asap, since I don't know how much longer I'll be working out here near a range...

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

IF you buy a complete reciever it must be shipped to an FFL holder, you can buy a reciever kit that can be stamped (you get the flat and form it), surpip knows more about those type of builds.

On a side not, my next buy will be an 8MM Mauser just because of ammo availability. $125 for the gun and $95 for 1000 rounds.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Yeah, Shipmate is the guy to talk to! :waytogo:

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Yes you can buy that kit and build it to be legal
    No you dont need to alredy own one.
    there is 2 ways to build one, with a 100% reciever, wich you will need to ship through a FFL
    or a 80% reciever, flat with all the holes drilled(you have to bend it) Or prebent, and you drill all the holes.
    I built both of mine with 100% recievers.
    all i needed was a drill., i used a drill press but you dont have to.
    any other questions just ask.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So you don't have to ship an 80% through an FFL? How difficult is it to finish them and where are they sold?

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

no you dont, you can build a AK with out the government ever knowing you own a fully functional rifle
    I think it would be eiaser to build on that is already bent, and just put all the holes in it. But they have to be exactally placed, well at least really really close, the AK isent a precision firearm after all.

i got two of the bend your own blanks, and borrowed a jig from someone, and couldent get them to bend as neet as they needed to be, so i ordered 2 100% recievers and built them off of that

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

these are the 2 i built
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Dale I've never asked you but how do you get the barrel attached to the receiver? Is it pinned or pressed in?