Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AK-63??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i was wondering if anyone knows does the ak-57 setup work for 63" springs only providing more lift? i figured id try to draw up my own sketch and see what a modified ak-57 setup could look like for a set of 63" springs..so i look at it as being maybe 2" longer than the ak-57 setup, and with a small bumpstop on the arm to prevent metal to metal contact at full droop..whaddya guys think??

[​IMG]

should i be an artist or suspension engineer??

2. Confedneck

by the way, im really bored today... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Alan, AK-57/Springer will eventually also be AK-63 but it will be a while. We want to have a system that works with the 63s as well as it works with the 57s. Keep in mind that when you by a system and not just a piece of a system you will also get help with the related problems. We will have this ready and proven by spring and we are hopefull it will be a bolt on system.

[/ QUOTE ] What 45acp said in my Center of Gravity thread about drop away shackles and 63s. I will just be going with inboarded springs, 63s with a good shackle angle, no drop away.

4. Confedneck

LMAO sled, i was just surfing and found that...was gonna post up a link too..well anyways i guess ill see how close mine is to their product huh??

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I believe that when you go to the 63" springs you have to relocate the front spring hanger forward on the frame and you use the standard or maybe a little longer rear drop bracket. I don't know about the amount of lift provided though. It has been done, but I don't remember by who.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm moving my front spring hanger about 3" forward I believe. Otherwise your axle will be about that many inches behind the stock location. Or redrill center pin.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe that when you go to the 63" springs you have to relocate the front spring hanger forward on the frame and you use the standard or maybe a little longer rear drop bracket. I don't know about the amount of lift provided though. It has been done, but I don't remember by who.

[/ QUOTE ]

well here is my plan if i can find a set of 63's
    i have the springer setup already so i plan on moving the rear hangers back only. move the front holes to the back homes in the frame. this gives me 6 inches. thats all i need. 57 from 63 is 6. now, here are the problems with doing it this way. i have a big feeling that the axle will be way off the wheel well. but in my mind it doesnt matter. also this puts the goofy brackets right at the frame horns and will need to be cut down a bit. also not a big deal as i will build my bumper to protect them big time.

its a rear axle so shimming is not a big deal for the time being. i can shim it as much as needed. a custom trac bar will be needed, but i dont have one anyway. and my bedsides will get modified a lot more along with some of the bed. this means i can not dove tail the back as much as i wanted ethier.
    Grant

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Your axle will be 5.5" farther back than stock with that setup (63" leaves have the center pin in the center). If that is what you want go for it. I think it would be a better option to move the front hanger forward and leave the back. A 57" ford spring is 32" from center pin (stock) to back eye, and a 63" chevy is 31.5" from center pin to back. Or you could just inboard them.

9. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

that was me, i've had the 63's in my k5 for about 4 months, the 63's won't give you any more lift, they are flat but what you can do is when you take off the stock spring hangers you can adjust the mounting points on the frame to give you some lift by lowering where they attach on the frame. i used 2 sets of front spring hangers to get them to work in the k5 with a shackle flip in the rear.

10. Confedneck

have any pictures of the 63" setup as far as shackles and etc go??