Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Al four headlights dont come on!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lthrwolf, Nov 9, 2000.

1. lthrwolf

lthrwolf Newbie

i cant figure this out. maybe its something simple. When i turn on my brights all four head lights go out. when im on low beams the top 2 are fine. whats up with this??
    if this sounds like a stupid question im sorry, i just rescued this truck and finally got it running.

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Um...did you mess with any wiring in the head light area? Don't know if this will solve it but on one side switch the heallight connectors around....the low beam connector now is hooked up to high beam and vice versa....and if that don't work...check to see if the lights are good. On mine someone put a plow on the front, damn them, and had all kinds of extra wires and crap laying around...I fixed that!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

3. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Check that the wire leads are not loose inside the plastic plug socket. I'm not familiar with the set up on a '82, but I just did the wiring on my buddy's '88 (which might be the same as the '82) which he put a '91 grill on. He didn't buy the harness, so I had to figure it out. Basically one harness runs all four lights, so all of the wires need to be connected. My guess is that one of the grounds on one of the high beam bulbs has disconnected itself. So when you hit the highs the circuit isn't continious thus all lights go off. Good luck, let us know if that isn't it!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I just ran out to check the lights on my 82 after reading this post. Guess what, one of my low beams goes out when I hit the hi-beams. I think I need to quit checking this list. Seems like everytime I read about a problem I end up with something to fix.....

Smitty

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Smitty,
    Sorry![​IMG] Question, when you hit the highs, do all four lights come on? If they usually do, and only one of your lows cuts out, then it sounds like it's going to be that actual bulb. Swap it to the other side and if it cuts out again then you know it's the bulb. No biggy, just swap the bulb. If the problem stays on one side then it's the connection. Take it easy.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>I had the exact same problem one week ago....no lights at all. I bought 2 new replacements but before I put them in, I checked the connections. I took some sand paper to the 3 prongs on the back of the lights and now all 4 work like new. I decided to keep the 2 new ones in the garage for back ups if one goes out. It was a simple fix for sure. Good luck.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>