Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by justwhatido, Jul 12, 2004.

1. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

This weekend. It'll be a great party and a fun time fishing.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

2. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Good luck. We'll be heading out on a friend's boston whaler.
    Going to fish the rigs that are 50+ miles out. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif I was at J& M tackle the other day and saw a 118lb amberjack in the freezer.He said that they released 2 more that were over 100lbs. Cant wait to hook up with something big. There was also a report of somone having a 600lb bluefin tuna hitting a bonita that they had on right at the boat. They said how can you stop a volkswagon going 200mph with a 80w shimano /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. They ended up going to look for smaller yellowfin tuna.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Does anyone on here have access to a boat that would be interested in taking a few OK (Oklahoma) guys fishing? Maybe someone near or around Venice LA?

We have been fishing on a commercial rig out of Freeport TX every year, but I hear fishing our of Venice will get you into some deep water fast!

There is nothing around OK like the thrill you get hooking into a 40 lb amberjack on freshwater tackle with 18 lbs test line! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Daniel if you are interested in coming to Alabama or we might can meet you in Venice,my friend's boat will accomodate a few.Its a 27'-10" boston whaler with twin 200 mercs, so you won't have to worry about it sinking. We actually fish the same areas that you can access from Venice. Fishing in the rodeo this weekend we might end up refueling in Venice because it is a little closer than Dauphin Island.The rigs we fish at range from 300 feet to 5500 feet all within 80 miles out. We will try to schedule a trip in the winter for yellow fin tuna out of Venice /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    I'll let you know next week what we catch. I'm out of here until next week /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's the "big" fish from our last trip. We went of of Freeport.
    That's a baby amberjack weighin in at only 38 lbs. But I caught it on an 18 test freshwater setup. It was fun to say the least! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Sorry for the sucky pic, but I had to fax it to my email and print screen the fax.... You got to be a little creative with limited tools here at work! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

6. justwhatido

Weather was a b*&$#.

fished Friday afternoon after tremendous thunderstorm travelled through. Did not catch anything noteworthy. (tasty, just not noteworthy).

Weather bad again Saturday, went home to be Dad.

Always next year's tournament.

Beer was cold, crowds were fun, food was good.

Fred /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

We left out thursday afternoon. The weather forcast was saying 2' seas. We saw 4-6' seas all the way out to the double rigs which was 58 miles out.It took us 6 hours to get there. We tied up to the rig for the night and tried to catch bait. None to be found.We could see a storm heading our way & there was'nt a chance to beat it in so we had to weather it out . You should have seen the lightning strikes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif We made it through the night and headed out to the Petronius rig which was about 10 miles further. We ended up catching 2 bigeye tunas and some bonitas. None of them worth keeping. Se we saw another rig that was not on the chart and went to it. Another 20 miles out. Nothing but bonitas. On the way back to the double rigs we saw some whales. Got back to rig, we started to catch bait. Then we tied back to the rig and dropped the baits down. As soon as the bait reached 30' we started to bow up on 25# amberjack.
    It was a blast to catch them. We did not catch any big enough to place for the rodeo but they were great table fare.It burned over 3/4 of a 200 gal fuel tank for the trip. With all the beating we took on the trip the radar dome broke off the t-top.Also backing the trailer up to load the boat we discovered the middle axle bearing burned up. Thank God it had a triple axle trailer. All in all it was great to finally take a vacation in 2 years to go fishing. A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. We'll have to get the boat ready soon for another trip /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. justwhatido

Wish I'd been there, glad I wasn't

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred