Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alarm with keyless entry?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

Need some recommendations on what brand, type, model, ect. of alarm system to get for my 87. Not really looking for the kind that talks when you get to close. Just something that will sound if someone bust my windows(including the rear window) or opens the door while its locked. Would like to have keyless entry as well. One last thing would be something that is not to hard to install and comes with clear and to the point intructions. Thanks for any help.

2. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

Looks like your in to some fun!!!..I've always have had good luck with the Viper brand ( directed electronics)..ie.//Python..Wasp..Hornet.....I'ts all pretty much straight forward..if you have a multimeter and know how to access your wire loom under the steering column!...the fun starts when you start with the door locks...Every make of car is done different!!!...Yours uses wahts callled reverse polarity...in the directions for the alarm it will have a wiring diagram on how to wire this up!
    ...I use mainly the Viper 800...it has the door lock module built in( some alarms you have to purchase this seperately).
    ...It also has lots of outputs to do other task...such as wiring up remote start..relays to power other devices..like window roll up modules...It also has a lifetime warrenty!
    ..Which ever alarm you go with ...remember to not go too cheap...If your protecting an expensive stereo or lots of hard work in your truck....you always get what you pay for!
    ....And remember ...if a real thieve wants your truck ...he'll take it...alarms keep honest people honest!

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I too run a Viper (think it is the 300 model) with the door lock/unlock module. Wonderful alarm, trouble free for years now.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a clifford in mine and it works great. like clintsk5 said dont just buy a cheep one. spend the extra and get a good one mine has the remote entry (but i do not have power door locks yet) if i had power windows it would roll the windows down 4 me. nice in the hot summer time. and also has a starter kill. most stereo shops will install 4 free when you buy it. you can install it your self but they are a pain in the a$$ to do i have done many of them.
    hope this helps

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

5. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

It really doesn't matter what brand you get -- as long as it's a decent, name brand. Code Alarm, DEI, Audiovox, Crimestopper (and others) all make good quality products. Are you going to do the install yourself or have it done? If you're doing it yourself, take the time to do it right! No twisted and taped wires! Use crimp connectors or solder everything for trouble free operation. Same goes for professional installation. Speak with the installer and/or other customers of the place you're considering before deciding on an installation facility. Also, the cheapest price doesn't necessarily mean the best deal. The dealer has to make his profit somewhere and there's not much profit in the "full featured" $99.00 alarm. Usually his installers will have to take shortcuts to stay profitable.