Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alaska guys.... Question for you about employment...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, May 13, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

My wife may be losing her job because of the lack of revenue from her department (she's a Physical Therapist working for a Chiropractor) and we are seriously considering going to Alaska for the summer for a 13 week assignment where she would make $35-50 per hour plus cost of living expenses. So I'm wondering what the job market is for someone like me, experience in just about everything, and needing a job for the summer months in the big state...

I'd likely be looking for a boat, mechanic shop, computer shop, or even pipeline work... actually... it doesn't matter what job I get when we come there as long as I work for the whole 3 months. I need suggestions on what a guy from the Midwest would be good at doing up there... I'm also a very outdoorsie person, so working in the wilderness of Alaska would be right up my alley.

2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Green Horn on an Alaska fishing boat!

aahhhh only if I was single.....

3. PhoenixZorn

any idea what the pay is like on a fishing boat?? I'd love to do it...

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Not sure. What it is but it looks like a hell of alot of work and alot of fun.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC horns don't usually get paid very much.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

FWIW - Alaska is nice for carrying

7. PhoenixZorn

Don't care... my Wife will be the bread winner as it were... I'll just be supplementing our income...

8. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I commercial fished all through school and college up here. If you get on a boat you will be making a half share. However, you need to be up here pretty quick to be getting a job. The good boats will usually not take newbies. Plus, salmon fishing does not pay what it used to. Believe me, fishing is not the be all, end all of jobs.

Where is your wife going to be? If in Anchorage check out the jobs in www.adn.com (Anchorage newspaper).

Construction/building is big up here in the summer. Lots of building in Anchorage and Mat Su valley. Lots of boats, check out getting on as a mechanic in a boat shop? Maybe get on as a bus driver for one of the cruise or tour companies. Tourism is huge up here in the summerso summer seasonal is needed. That would be one of the first places to look. Check out flagging for road construction. Pipeline work is pretty tough to come by, but check out VECO in Anchorage... perhaps they have some seasonal stuff.

Can't think of anything else right now. Post up where you are going to be - might help generate ideas.

9. PhoenixZorn

Looks like we have choices... Anchorage, Juneau, Nome, Wasilla, and others... I kinda need to know the cost of living there... Anchorage is most likely, with Juneau being second on the list... My wife will make about $60-70k a year, but we aren't sure if we want to sell our newly bought house here or just go to Alaska as a temporary thing... We absolutely could live up there permanently though... just have to have all the important info before we decide. Housing prices, school system quality, job market, trail availablilty (did I just type that??) We'd be looking for at least a 2 Bedroom house with a decent sized yard and an attached garage or detached - but really big - garage... 3 bedroom 2 bath is preferred...

Also for that temporary thing... It would be a 13 week assignment if she takes it, we would need a pet friendly apartment or house as I have a Husky, 2 cats, a bunch of Reptiles, and a pair of sugar glider brothers...

10. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Cost of living- :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Not to discourage you, but it can be a little high. Go to www.adn.com and look at the houses for sale. Anchorage is pretty expensive to buy a place. Wasilla is a better place to buy, about an hour from Anchorage. Growing like crazy.

Juneau, Nome- have to fly to go any where. Nome is pretty cold in the winter- that should be your last choice if you want to see Alaska. Juneau is just about as bad for seeing AK. Not to mention non-stop rain. Great if you are into boats though.

As for renting take a look at www.apartmentbluebook.com. That should give your some ideas about the renting situation up here.

11. PhoenixZorn

odoa3... don't laugh... I live in Wisconsin, where we currently have the highest gas tax, highest property tax, and some of the highest housing prices in the country... =)

12. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Cheesehead land in no way compares to the cost of living in AK. Almost nothing is made there and must be shipped in.

That being said I will be moving there in about 3 years...... :grin:

13. PhoenixZorn

Indeed... I understand that cost of living is much higher there... I was just comparing the two...

If we do go there, our housing will be paid for along with my Wife's salary... sweet deal... and she already said she wouldn't move there permanently, so we wouldn't be looking for a house to buy, only something pet friendly for 3 months...

14. PhoenixZorn

The wife just got home from her meeting with the boss, and it turns out she was offered a chance to buy the Physical Therapy business... That means I don't need to move to Alaska for the summer... I still wish we could come up there, but the situation has gone from grim to wonderous in a few days.

15. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Hey, Congrats! Don't worry about seeing AK, it will be here. Get the business booming and then take a vacation up here. Don't have to worry about the housing, etc - just have to think about having fun.