Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alaska ROAD TRIP !

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tori89k5, Feb 13, 2004.

1. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Kids.... as of Wed. (2-18) I will be unemployed,... so im gonna take advantage of some time off and go see my Dad in Alaska.
    Not sure of the exact departure date yet, but probrably the following week. 2-23 Hell, i dont even know the exact route yet. Anyone wanna join ? I know its short notice and all, so it'll probrably just be Molly and me.
    Anyway,.... if you have any suggestions for the trip, or recommended stops along the way lets hear them.
    Its been along time since ive driven the Alcan Highway, so im starting to get excited about the trip. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Wish I could join ya. Get a good old K5 caravan running North...............

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Is it a four wheelin trip? There are a few of us along the route... more or less! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Stop in SJC on your way up.....

You've got a place to sleep, and all the beer and hospitality you can handle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Macabi is anxious to meet Molly and show her around the place.

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I guess it could include a little off-road time. As long as i dont break anything i think i could handle it. (Gotta drive it a long way ya know)

Greg, I may take you up on that. Guess it just depends on when i start the trip. It'd be kinda silly to stop for a sleep over after just 4 hours of driving. But we'll see where this leads me...

6. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

I got laid off this summer so we took off to alaska for a month too. I would definitely recommend the Cassiar HWY on the way up or back, it was the nicest scenery of the whole trip. Where in Alaska are you headed? There is a Unimog north of Anchorage I wanted to bring home really bad, Ill loan you my trailer if you want to amke a side trip for me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Headed to Big Lake. Its just outside of Wasilla, and sure, if the 'Mog can tow my Blazer back, im all for the drive /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you come through Portland then maybe we should all get together and say hi and have some beer and pizza /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I'll definately be coming thru Portland. I think i'll be spending the nite in Medford at a friends, and then heading out from there, so a Beer in Portland would be cool.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Look me up when you cross into Canada. I'm only about 10 miles north of the border, outside of Vancouver BC.

604 583 5163

I'm mostly home during the day from M-Th, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays I'm usually pretty free. During the week I head to work about 1:30 pm though.

Rene

11. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Absolutely Rene ! Thats a definate will do. I will keep you informed of my dates and progress.
    Thanx.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you end up heading north through Montana and southern Alberta instead of taking the coastal route, chances are you'll pass within 500 ft of my house. And it goes without saying that CK5ers are always welcome at my place. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Make sure you keep us informed of your plans, brother!!

13. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Absolutely Rene ! Thats a definate will do. I will keep you informed of my dates and progress.
    Thanx.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM, phone or email me once you firm up your plans and your intended route. I'll do what I can as far as my shcedule goes to make a meet happen. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Rene

14. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey, anyone nearby or on my route have any 35" tire chains i can borrow ? I may need them for to satisfy the authorities in Canada.... aye !

15. tRustyK5

I have a set of 'V' bar chains here that should work on 35's. I know they're quite a bit too short to wrap around my 39.5's. I'll have to lay them out and measure them exactly.

They are really aggressive, but if they'll work for you, you can borrow them. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Rene

16. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

okay cool, thanks Rene. So these are the ones with the litte V shaped metal jobbies welded onto the chains right ?
    Ideally for real icy conditions ? Please do measure them so i will know if they will fit or not.
    BTW, about how long does it take to get to Calgary from your place ? Gotta girlfriend there to look up

17. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

well i dont have any chains but u can include me on your contact list in case of trouble, im near tacoma in washington /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and heck i have a couch and kids bunkbeds if ya need a place to sleep pm me if you would like my number

18. tRustyK5

Yeah, the have the little 'v's welded to the chain links...very good for icy crap.

Calgary is about a 12-14 hour drive. It just depends on which way you take and how often you want to stop and stuff. There is so much to see between here and Calgary...including Canmore./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    if you have any suggestions for the trip, or recommended stops along the way lets hear them.

[/ QUOTE ] Coo's Bay in Or. is worth seeing in my opinion. Nice view.

20. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Yup... Renes house in Surrey, to Pauls place in Canmore, to Calgary to see the girl, NE to Thumpers in Cold Lake /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, then up to wherever else you head!

Could be quite the tour if ya wanted it to be hehe.

Mike