Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ALCAN Springs and ORD Shackle 4" Lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1-ton, May 5, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ALCAN Springs and ORD Shackle 4\" Lift?

I decided to move this post over to this forum because there is too much Bluebie traffic on the Garage forum burying my post.

I want to put a 4" lift on my 1991 1-Ton Crew Cab 4X4 P/U, which I plan to use for light trail wheeling and occasional towing. I was thinking of going with ORD Shackle Flip-Kit, ORD front greasable shackles (if they make them for my application), custom manufactured ALCAN springs front (4" Lift) and rear (OEM), with overload springs on the rear.

My question is:

1. Are springs from ALCAN a better quality choice over BDS Springs?

2. What are some of the experiences anybody has had buying springs from ALCAN?

3. For towing should I go with overload or an add-A-leaf spring for occasional towing?

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

Re: ALCAN Springs and ORD Shackle 4\" Lift?

there would be no point to buying a custom alcan spring and then adding an overload. the folks at alcan engineer the spring for your rig, they take into account bumpers, winches, gear, even your a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

so i would save the money and rock a set of BDS

3. 1-ton

Ahhhh...Good Point!

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think he's talking about an add-a-leaf for the rear springs, which his post said would be OEM. The Alcans would be up front.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're towing, forget the shackle flip.

That said you can have springs just as soft as stock at a 4" lift if you go custom, I'd be willing to bet.

6. 1-ton

I was wondering if shackle flip kit type lift was compatible with towing chores? Why would it not be, and what would the best way to lift my truck, for the purpose I want to use my truck for? Should I do just a straight spring lift?

If a straight spring, and no shackle flip, lift kit is the best way to go, then I might as well go with a complete BDS lift kit all the way.

Sorry to hear about you ripping your steering box out of your truck.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't worry about my steering box, a few hours and she's good as new. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

If I were you, I'd use lift blocks for now and see how you like it. They will not diminish your ride quality or your carrying capability, and they're cheap.

If you decide you want heavier springs for towing, then I'd choose a lift spring.

I personally would not use a shackle flip on something that you're towing with. Towing + shackle flip = some scary ass situations.

I have a shackle flip with 52s on mine and I'm very happy with it, but I never tow anything at all. I have a C30 for that and it's stock as can be. Tons of leaves out back for a rock hard spring rate and it's a hauling machine.

Hard for me to comment on a lifted tow rig as mine is pretty stock and boring. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've read post about towing with shackle flips and alot of members say they do with no problem.

9. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally would not use a shackle flip on something that you're towing with. Towing + shackle flip = some scary ass situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am starting to believe you are correct. When I look at shackles fliped completely over, the opposite way, and the leaf springs look like they are doing a balancing act on a tall stepladder, something about it does quite scream TOW VEHICLE!

10. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not going to jump on my soap box agian about this.
    If you want to know my opinion do a quick search for shackle flips.
    Ford, Dodge, and Chevy have all used a compresion shackle rear end at some piont in time.
    I think the towing problems come more from the lift than they do the shackle frip.
    Scary a$$ situations are going to arise if you are exceeding the capabilities of the tow vehicle. It does not matter what the suspension setup is.

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

im with mini on this... springs come oem as compression on plenty of models, i would start to look at axle wrap problems if you're gonna tow with lift blocks. i dont think that has been addressed.

and good point with the alcans being in the front /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

but then you run into a situation where your front outflexes the rear by way too much