Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alcan Springs question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rab38, Nov 22, 2004.

1. rab38

rab38 Registered Member

I am rebuilding my blazer and am now focusing on the suspenision. I have a couple of questions for those who are using Alcan Custiom springs. First of all I will be replacing my 8" skyjacker lift I have now to hopefully get a better working and riding suspension. I will be using the offroad design heavy duty front shackles and a 4" shackle flip on the rear with the 0 rate block.

I am thinking of going for about 10" of lift, so I would get 10" front springs and a 6" rear to add to the 4" flip. I am going this high to clear my 38" swampers and allow clearance so I don't have to trim the fenders, the tires will rub slightly now with the 8" lift when the suspension tweeks and the tire is turning.

Now for the questions:
    1. How is the ride quality?
    2. How is the suspenion travel/articulation?
    3. Any workmanship or quality issues?
    4. Should I plan for the future ordering them to allow for a winch on the front if so will it affect how it rides before I get a winch? (I am thinking yes because of the spring rate change)

Thanks in advance for your input, I would also like to hear what setups as far as spring rates, lift height,etc. you guys are running and how the suspension works.

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

from what I understand (sorry I don't have any) they are very soft, if I remember right greg72 had a set on his blazer. also I know blk87k5 had some he was selling that he ran for quite a while on his k5.

3. rab38

rab38 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I heard they were soft as well. Any guys out there running these springs that can tell me what they think of them, would be greatly appreciated.

4. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Alcans on the front of my '71. I can't tell you about the ride quality cus it's still not on the road yet /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (soon!).

Alcans are (or at least can be) made to order, so the ride is engineered to your specs. I bought mine through ORD. Steve Watson engineered them for me based on the ride height that I wanted, the way I'm setting up the truck, and most importantly ORDs experience gained from many previous installations. I can tell you that the ride height turned out right on the money.

I went with some fairly soft, 9-leaf springs (not as soft as Greg72's) and compensated against the additional propensity for role by adding/converting a later model sway bar. I don't know the exact rate but they're definitely under 300 lb/in... again, this is what was specified based on lift height, vehicle weight, number of leafs, etc. They are very nice... military wrapped... and can be further dialed in via the teflon buttons between the leafs.

[​IMG]

5. rab38

rab38 Registered Member

Thanks for the info, how much lift are you running, what are your doing for the back springs?

6. 71RestoRod

My lift is very modest... roughly 4". I'm looking for a low CG and good road manners. I used Tuff Country springs in the rear because I didn't want the shackle flip and, with that lift height, they're about as good a ride as I'm going to get.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but with a 10" lift your springs will have to be way stiff to hold the arch. The suspension will be your tires. Soft springs with a 10" lift would equal one scary ride!

I'm no expert with tall lifts... and have no idea how you want to use your truck... but generally speaking to clear the tall tires I think you would be much better off to start with a body lift and then make up the difference with the springs / shackle flip. One nice thing about a custom spring pack, like Alcan, is that you can get additional lift from the thick spring pack itself without the excessive arch.

(going broke 2 cents at a time)

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Doug,

Based on that last pic you posted, I'd say it's about time for you to start SHARING your pics again!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The last Webshots I remember seeing of your truck were when you were dealing with sheetmetal repairs and the whole body was in Epoxy primer. It sure looks like you are now WELL beyond that point, and I'm sure there are plenty of others here (besides myself) who could learn a lot by seeing detailed restoration photos from a fanatic like you!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. rab38

rab38 Registered Member

Thanks for the info, yours is looking good. I know that with that much lift I am going to be stiff, just thought with a custom spring pack it would provide more articulation than the skyjacker springs I have.

I will be using it for trail riding, which where i live is mostly deep mud and crusing on the street.

I am not much for body lifts but I could go that route I guess.

9. 71RestoRod

Thanks for the complements guys.

Rab, you should give Stephen a call. He'll be able to tell you what can be done.

Greg, the Webshots album is still out there… Not much narrative but a few new pics. I promise to update and ‘share’ after I finish dressing the firewall and a few other things…

Here’s the link. Glad to answer any questions!

http://community.webshots.com/user/71RestoRod

10. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of Alcan springs direct for the rear of my Nissan pickup last March. Good quality, they got the lift right and the ride is great. I am having issues with them already starting to rust and the truck is not a DD but a trail rig that has seen maybe 3000 miles on those springs. That part I am not happy about.