Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alcans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jagermiester, Jan 9, 2006.

1. jagermiester

jagermiester 1/2 ton status

Who hear is running Alcan springs? Is it worth the extra money compared to regular leaf springs or stock springs w/ add a leafs. This truck will be a DD used for trails, some prerunning (minor), rocks and the truck pulls. Alcan springs are 200 to 240 apiece which is about 75 to 100 dollars more a spring then lift springs and about 150 to 200 apiece more than add a leafs. What do you guys think. I am really leaning towards the Alcans but dont want to waste maoney.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a set, but still need to get em under the truck. I anticipate they'll perform and ride much better than off the shelf kit springs.

Rene

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i have a set of 6" s in the garage and oh my god:D the amount of free arch is huge, and they are reall soft:p: they are alot softer than 4" tc's. i mean very very very super duper noticable!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, when you pick them up by the ends they droop a couple inches just from their own weight...definitely very soft. Hopefully I can get the rest of the parts I need together in the next few months and finally get them under the truck.

I've only had them for 14 months now :doah:

Rene

5. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am not sure about Alcans but I am running Deaver Springs on my DD blazer and love them. I used to run BDS springs and the Deavers are ten times better. I recommend running a progressive spring if you plan on doing any prerunning and daily driving. Really soft springs are good for rocks but can be more than a handfull on the road and will bottom out when prerunning.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Alcans vs. Add-A-Leafs are solutions on opposite ends of the spectrum...!!!

Alcans will be SOFT and it is pretty tough to get much lift from them....my ORD springs (built by Alcan) had something like 9" of free arch before installation and only yielded 4" of lift.

Add-A-Leafs are intended to add lift by making the existing springpack stiffer (and slightly taller)

From a flex perspective, there is no contest the Alcans will OWN!! If you're just trying to get your truck up in the air to clear some bigger tires (and don't care about flex that much) then add-a-leafs will be a cheap way to go....

:usaflag:

7. jagermiester

jagermiester 1/2 ton status

Thank you all for the info. I am definately looking for flex. Are Alcans a progressive spring? It looks like Alcans it is.