Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alcohol fuel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nike, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Please refresh my memory in the area of alcohol based fuels (pro's and cons). 10% alcohol mix is now selling for the same price as 87 octane regular in Missouri. Is this a good deal? Thanks Nike

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think you will get worse gas milage because alcohol burns faster. also DO NOT use it in a premix 2 stroke. when they put alsohol in it, they also have to put a little kerosine in with to absorb the moisture. and the oil doesn't mix with kerosine. Trust me i know this /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Alcohol burs slower than gas not faster. but the flame is a little hotter. What it does is slows down the combustion and evens it out. Kind of like adding octaine numbers.
    Thats why they use alchol or methonol in high compression engines. It stops them from pinging when the timing is advanced.
    Adding alcohol to gas usually wont hurt automotive engines. but it can make rubber gas lines brittle and cause them to break. On some older FI systems it will also do the same thing to the seals in the fuel system.
    I'v ran Gasahol in a few of my cars with no problems. I found it improved performance a little over regular grade gasoline.
    If you run Gasahol all the time I would play with the timing to get the best performance/gas milage. If you advance a lot the timing be sure to check the plugs to make sure they are not running too hot.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Gas mileage sucks with that stuff. Use the non ethanol... Try a tank of each and see which gets you further. Performance increases are tiny if at all.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what i ment is that you use more alcohol than gas for the same length of time