Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ALDL connector

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is it possible to buy an ALDL connector for the PC cable, or does everyone just stick the pins into the right spots? It'd be kind of nice to figure it out once and then just have it work with the right mating connector.

I hope my question is clear. I have a connector on the ECM side mounted in the truck (or it will be soon), but the cable to go with the laptop has a 9-pin connector on one side and just two loose pins on the other. I'd like the mating connector for the ECM connector.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I understand you right, no, you won't find the male end of the ALDL connector, cheap. You can buy a cable from a company like autoxray, and cut it off, but I believe that runs around $20.

I soldered pieces of paperclip to the wires, that actually works fairly well. Ideally I'd use some other type of connector, and have splices off the back of the ALDL that would have the other side of whatever connector I wanted to use.

3. Mastiff

Hmmm. Every repair shop must have a code reader or diagnostic machine with this type of connector, right? They can't be all that uncommon.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well you'd think they would be easier to find, but they aren't.

Yes all the diagnostic stuff will have connectors, but the only source I ever found was someone on thirdgen.org that was actually casting them with a mold or something! Every other "source" I found said to buy a cable, and cut it.

In reality, the ALDL connector can be anything you want as long as it has enough connector pins on it. You could cut all the ALDL wires off, throw that connector away, and use a keyboard or mouse PS/2 connector setup and do exactly the same thing, with an easier to find connector.

For most I don't think connector style means anything, unless you take it to a shop. Most that run winALDL or other program probably AREN'T taking their vehicle to the dealer for work that involves the engine management system.

5. Mastiff

Thanks for the info. I was afraid they were one of those impossible to find items. Oh well, I'll just stick the pins in the right spots. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Mastiff

Does WinALDL only display MAP in Kpa, not inches? I can't think in kilo-pascals. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif