Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alernate fuels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckfan2, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

anybody running a propane or natural gas setup on their truck for a reserve? i've heard of a company in Milwaukee, WI that has a setup that will work on TBI or EFI trucks. I'd like to know if it'd be worth it to invest in a system if fuel prices do go up. Does it get better gas milage?

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Trust me when I say that natgas/propane systems SUCK!!!! I work for a natural gas pipeline distribution company- we have quite a few vehicles with dual fuel(natgas/gasoline) setups. The company thinks it looks good if we run a portion of our fleet with the same product we sell.

Cons- The conversion kit is expensive. You need access to a natural gas compressor to fuel up. The system doesn't like the cold. The ammount of fuel that each tank holds is only good for around 50 miles, so if you plan on travelling any distance you have to have a multiple-tank system. You lose about 20% of both your horsepower and torque.

Pros- Natural Gas burns WAY cleaner than gasoline, so not only is it better for your engine, it's better for the environment, too. It's cheaper to buy natgas than gasoline(for now), so it may cost you less overall to run your vehicle.

I might add that if you tow or haul a lot of weight around, natgas systems aren't worth it because of the lowered engine output. And if natgas prices keep climbing like they have in the last year, it may soon cost more per mile to run with it instead of gasoline.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My Blazer had a system like that and we ended up removing. The blazer made about 10mpg on gasoline and about 8 on LPG gas. The advantage of LPG was that it was cheaper per gallon so it was cheaper to run it. My Blazer had this HUGE tank that took all the cargo space. You can see a pic and a longer story in my website.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The webmaster over at Pirate4x4.com is running Propane as the main fuel on his Land cruiser. His name is Lance and he has a little write up on it over there. He is a nice guy and I am sure he would answer any questions you have!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

We would ALL be running propane, had GORE become president!

6. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I have no idea about the fesability of this, but ya could try to swap in a military multi-fuel engine. Then you can burn kerosene, deisel, gas and more. Sorry, i just know OF these, not how they work. Just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

<font color=red>If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.</font color=red>

7. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

if you are going to run different fuels you need to design the engine differently. every fuel has different charteristics. even though an engine may run on different types of fuel such as goverment multifuel diesels they dont run on any fuel well. plus as the winters get colder the price of propane and natural gas go up just like diesel fuel. i personally would just stay with the gasoline system