Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aligning the doors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Mar 12, 2002.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Last summer I took the doors off my truck to see if I liked it, stupid idea!! We put the doors back on, but now the door peg on the passenger side is almost completely broke off from the body. The pin strips don't match up, but all the screws and hinges seem to be lined up. The back of the door sits about half an inch lower than the front. I don't remember, but I think we tried to pull the hinges off too and didn't get it 100% lined up. Could this be the problem? What can I do?

2. Antonio

Antonio Newbie

try buying a new hinge,

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

the best way to aline your door is to do this with front fenders off this way you have access to all the bolts at once but then you have to reinstall the hood and fenders and get them all lined up. but really it sounds like yer hinges are worn. as far as i know if the rear is hangn lower than the front there is no adjustment for that. i'd get a budy over to help ya and try screwing with the bolts and try ti adjust it some befor you spring for new hinges.

4. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I take my doors off frequently and sometimes have a difficult time lining them up. When I reinstall my doors I snug the bottom and top bolts then leave all the others finger loose. I then CAREFULLY shut the door to see which way to adjust. Then I loosen the top and bottom bolts only enough to be able to bump the door in the direction needed. Worse case senario I think my door is off 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch at the back of the door the first time I bolt it up. If yours is more than that you may have to readjust where your hinge bolts to your truck.

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

adjusting the hinge where it bolts to the truck could fix you allignment. remember the bolt that threads from inside the truck. whoever came up with this was an ass but you have to loosen that one too. for future reference. when the doors are aligned. trace the bolts with a sharpie before you remove the door. you will have an exact pattern for where the bolts need to line up when you put the door on. i learned from experience.

6. sagechicken

sagechicken Registered Member

I take the doors all the time, what I've had to do in the past is put washers in between the door and the hinge to move it out a little, like you I learned the hard way, I had to weld up the latch post since I tore it off before I aligned up right.

7. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I have an 1/8 inch stack of washers between the bottom of my doors and hinge as well. (Bottom two bolts only).