Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alignment ? For My Mom...

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by BlazerWheels, Jan 22, 2004.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

She has a '94 Z71 that she is getting aligned. They told her that the strut towers were welded from the factory, and the only way to align properly is to cut the welds and ...

He said about 1 hour labor for each side = $149 + 49.95 alignment total = $200.

Does this sound right??? I need a quick answer so I can let her know.

Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

the stealership gave me some insane price for an alignment a while back. i just had it done a last week for $35 at a tire shop. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

mine wasnt off badly at all, however. is your mom's truck pulling badly?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They aren't welded, but if the alignment is out much at all there are some knockouts on the upper control arm brackets that have to be punched out to do the alignment. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The holes from the factory are just big enough for the bolts that hold the upper control arms in place, so there is no adjustment available. I'm sure this makes things quicker during assembly at the factory, since they can just slap 'em on and not have to do an alignment. It probably also saves a bunch of money by reducing the number of alignments performed under warranty. However, once the truck is old and things have bent a bit, then you have to remove the knockouts that turn the "holes" into "slots" so the alignment can be adjusted. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The service manual shows a special GM tool for removing the knockouts. But I found that my air chisel worked just fine as a removal tool. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif You have to unbolt the upper control arms and remove the front shocks then you can get in there and remove the knockouts. I marked the location of the adjusting cams before removal so that I could get the alignment back close to where it was before I took it apart. Then I drove to the alignment shop and had them do their thing. Took me about 45 minutes to save $150. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Harry, your reply sounds like what they were talking about. Mom finally did get hold of Dad who said that he had that doen to their other truck. Oh well, after all is said and done, they are happy and the truck drives Damned straight!!! Thanks again guys!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif