Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alignment or Balance or Shocks?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Jul 16, 2003.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

On the new(er) sub at about 70 mph the truck will vibrate. I am thinking that it is a balance problem, but the front tires are cupped like it needs an alignment. This is what I am thinking is going on. The Front was not totally aligned and then the tires wore with cupping, then the tires go out of balance. The CARX shop was telling me that the thing needed new shocks all the way around and I did not want to pay the $450 with out checking on here and with some other people. I will not be having them put the shocks on if that is the problem.

Any ideas?

94, sub, ¾, 4x4, 454

2. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

stock shocks do not last long, so yes they probley need replaced but not for $450. Go to you local parts store and buy a shock with a life time warrenty /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I have replaced my rancho 9000's twice now on my warrenty, and spent 200 bucks one time and did the work my self. It is extremly easy if you dont think you can or maybe dont have time.

Cupping of tires could be because of wrong tire pressure I think cupping is to much air pressure, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif can't remember. I would have the tires rebalanced to see if that helped. Oh and dont forget to check lug nuts. My car was doing that and it was loose lug nuts /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now what you may not want to hear is warped rotors will cause viberations also but this should be felt in a wide rage of mph and get worse when barey applying the brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif So the more I think about it the less it could be your rotors, but I'd havem checked. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

too much air? what should i have in them? i was told to run the at 40-45 PSI

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Your bigger trucks like to destroy front tires. Your best bet would be to put shocks on it all the way around to help with the cupping issue. The other major reason for cupping is that the tires arent rotated enough. rotate and put new shocks on, if it goes away, then you are good, but still get an alignment since you probably dont know when it last had one.

Dan

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I have never ever run more than 30 psi in any of my tires, from 31" radials to 44" Swmapers. Just because the sidewall says "max load 2800 pounds at 45 psi cold" doesn't mean you should be running 45 psi...that just means that that is the max weight the tire will hold at the max pressure (in this case 45 psi). I suggest running 28-30 psi and see what happens...one thing, it'll ride much better!

6. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If you're running stock size tires, look on the door sticker and run at that pressure. It is what the truck was designed to run at.
    With big tires, I rotate mine every 3K miles, this helps them wear more evenly. Also, have the truck aligned by a reputable shop, most just "set the toe and go"