Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alignment Specs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chiefKP, Jun 28, 2001.

1. chiefKP

chiefKP Registered Member

Could someone post the wheel alignment specs for an 84 K5?

Thanks...

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Camber 1.5 deg. +/- .5 deg. (tops of the tire out)
    Caster 8.0 deg. +/- .5 deg. (upper ball-joint laid back from the lower)
    Toe 0.0 deg +/- .06 deg. (self explanitory)

Those are pretty extream in my opinion, Here is what I think is best.
    Camber .5 deg (tire as streight up as can be, keeps the outer edges from wearing out. I'm not sure why they ask for so much camber, but it's got to be a handleing thing- i would think)
    Caster 6. deg is the norm. (as much caster as you can get, but it's hard to set w/o driveline probs on lifted rigs)
    Slightly toe-in. (The drag of the tires will try to pull the tires to a toe-out condition, and cause the truck to feel "darty" when in 2wd. But in 4wd the tires will pull to a Toe in condition so it's sixes.)

The last half is my opinion, and I'am in no-way an expert, It just makes sense to me. I don't have an engeinering degree.
    The first half if from an alignment machine co.

Twiztid

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ftin96 Q'

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

4. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Can you define What you mean by slightly Toe-in with an inch measurement? I am experimenting with moving the toe-in around to hopefully get rid of a little bit of wander and I currently have it set at 1.5" toe-in from front to back of tire. I am completely guessing at this as I have no idea where it should be set at. Tires are 37" Boggers. Thanks,
    Russ

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Holy moly....1.5" is WAY too much.....you're draggin' your tires sideways down the road! 1/8" is usually a good "ballpark".

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I think most people say 1/8 to 3/16" toe in is good .

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

7. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help, I will adjust it back out. Dragging my tires must get rid of some wander as it did drive better :)
    I checked my other measurements (Caster/Camber) from Twiztid's post and they were right on what he recommended.
    Russ

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

The measurement is different from radials to bias tires. Radials they say 1/8", and bias around 0" or slightly out... say 1/8". Or I found with my TSLs that I just played with it till it straightened out.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The 1/8" thing sounds good to me, never checked 'em with out a alignment machine.

Bias-plys; now thats a hole'nother animal. Never even thought about specs for bias-plys. I would think most of the same specs applie to those as-well, but the caster angle becomes even more critical. Shoot for 8 degs or better, if can get it.

Caster angle helps keep the truck diriving streight, caster combined with the SIA (Steering Incination Angle -not adjable) is what gives you the "dead-center" feel at the wheel and the return to center when in motion. It also helps with cornering traction/ability and to a point, track streight- regardless of the tarrain.

On the other hand: caster (L vs. R) and/or camber can cause a pull to one-side or the other.

-really just a FYI reply, these other guys seem to be on it.
    Hope it helps.

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>