Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alignment still pulls right

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dduckblazer, Oct 11, 2002.

1. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

I just got new bfg 32/11:50"AT" .I have no lift or any other major mods. When I got the tires I had my alignment done, It still pulled right I had it checked again. Still pulled right. Then I was told its the power streering gears and to replace it would cost $400. parts and labor. I welcome any thouhts on this /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Is it while you are braking or while driving?

3. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

my truck pulls in whatever direction the road is slanted towards... its always tryin to go downhill

did it pull before the tires?
    have you tried rotating the tires?

do you have any unusual brake pad wear?

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

if you've wheeled since then, might be a clump of mud in the inside part of the rim where the rotor is, or see if your air pressure is equal in front /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, good luck
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

most likely, the pull you are feeling is a result of road crown... a good check for this is to find a known level surcace such as a parking lot and see if the truck pulls there too... if it still pulls then it is an alignment problem.... if not, then it is because of road crown... a good alignment shop should be able to remedy either..

6. dduckblazer

Its been to two alignment shops and pulls right straght level,down hill or up hill.It dosent pull that bad (I dont need to fight it) But if I let go of the wheel it will drift to the right. The 3rd shop said it was the power streering gear box and $400. to replace (parts and labor) Dose this sound right? Im mostly worried about tire wear.

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

the pulling shouldnt hurt tire wear to my knowledge, unless maybe the toe settings are wrong. You shoudnt need to replace the power steering gear unless your steering is so loose that you cant adjust the play out of it or reseal it. Where are you located? If your close to victorville I could check it out for you.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Just for the sake of clarification, you mentioned your truck "pulls right straght level,down hill or up hill". The road crown NCblackandredk5 is referring to is from left to right not the up / down direction of the road. Most roads will have a crown designed into them so that it is higher in the middle than on the sides to allow water to run off and not puddle up. A perfectly normal byproduct of this crown is that it will cause a vahicle to drift towards the low side of the road - simply gravity in action. If it is gradual on a crowned road, it's probably not the truck. Try his flat parking lot suggestion and see what results you get.

Also try swapping the two front tires anmd see if the drift stops or changes direction. Any significant change after swapping tires is an indication of a tire(s) with problems.

Good luck...

9. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Check tires pressures and equal them out. If that doesnt work, its is most likly a tire pull. Cross the front tires and that should fix the pull. If that doesnt work rotate the tires. If that doesnt work buy new tires. Also, TOE DOES NOT CAUSE A PULL. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How closely did these shops look at the rest of the front end? Bad tierod ends(either on the tierod or the draglink), bad ball joints, bad brakes, or a worn steering stabilizer can all contribute to a loose front end. Loose front end components + crown on the road = pulling to the right.

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Double-up on what "nvrenf" said.

Try cross-rotating the front tires, and see if that helps.
    It is not unusual for a tire to cause a pull.
    If that doesn't help, the Caster on the Left side needs to be decreased slightly (or the right side needs to be increased), to compensate for the crown.

Also check tire pressure, as was said...

12. dduckblazer

It was like this with my old tires. right front was almost warin smooth. I now have new tires just two weeks old and they have been rotated three time in two weeks. The truck was also put the rack and check with the alaignment computer and was ajusted to specs. Braking is fine. I was thinking that it must be something like ball joints. I just dont know to much about that stuff. Im going to replace the steering stabilizer just for the heck of it and see if that helps any.