Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alignment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Doug M, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

My Blazer pulls to the right. All steering components are either new or good, including ball joints. I understand shims can be added to correct camber and caster and I'd like to do this myself to save cost. Does anyone know what shims and where they should go based on this info from a shop that doesn't do shims:

camber left 1.0 deg camber right 0.3 deg
    caster left 6.1 deg caster right 6.3 deg

Also where can I find these shims?

Thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Camber can't be adjusted on a solid axle to my knoledge. If it's that far off then the housing is bent a bit. Caster is adjusted with shims that go between the leaf spring adn teh spring perch, but it's not an exact science. There is a really wide range that will work fine, generally, people usually use the shims to correct driveline angle when a lift is installed. </font color>

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually there ways to correct camber, offset ball joints sleeves.
    It's not the easiest thing to do, but it's out there.
    But I agree if it's that much off he probably has a bent housing.
    Or the bearings are loose or bad.
    Did you check for play in the bearings?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Camber can be adjusted with the use of a ball joint sleeve. On most solid axles the upper ball joint location is sleeved. You need a special castle type socket and alot of patience to remove them.A set of Moog ball joints I bought a few years ago had the normal replacement sleeves and well as an off center/angled sleeve. You can buy the sleeves seperate from a decent auto parts store (ie not AutoZone or Murrays or the like)
    Insert the off-center sleeves in the just the right rotation, and you can correct your camber. Most shops won't do the sleeves for some reason. I didn't use them because mine wasn't out of alignment, but it seems to me that knowing exactly how to install the sleeve to correct the angle would be difficult and take a very expeirenced hand. Partly becasue there's a lot of labor. You need to install the whole knuckle/rotor/tire assebmby in order to re-check your numbers., if you didn't get it right the first time, yo u need to take it all apart again, turn your adjuster, and re-assemble.
    Your right, however, that if it's out of whack, something is bent.

5. Doug M

Doug M Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess the camber is what's causing the steering problems. Can the axle housing be straightened?

Also haven't I heard of a shim that goes between the steering knuckle and spindle?