Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alison/big auto trans questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Feb 17, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I have never seen a big truck auto like the alison and I was wondering if they have the "bellhousing adapter" thing built into them just like on a TH400 lets use for an example. Thanks :waytogo:

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a allison at540 from c-60 school bus and it has a bell adaptor that is cast iron. you bolt it to block and then bolt flywheel to crank . its a special hd unit. this all bolts up to tranny and convertor. the adaptor is full 360 bolt pattern on tranny. if you want 1 let me know i will sell this cheep. its a reman unit , from allison.

you can get different adaptors for different motor combos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I was just curious as I have never dealt with the big autos before. I am researching info for a project idea I have. I was thinking about running something like an alison auto behind a 3116 CAT in my DD after I get the first CAT swap done with a manual in my 84. :waytogo: thanks for the help

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Most of the current medium & all of the heavy Allisons have an integral bellhousing in one of the SAE-standard round patterns. A couple of the smaller Alli's have different patterns, depending on what engine/chassis mfr. they designed and built the unit for.
    The couple of heavy ZF autos I saw in the shop had a similar, but different round bellhousing bolt pattern. Maybe it was an European standard, I dunno...

***EDIT*** Just looked at sweetk30's pics a little closer, and I recognize that tranny. My former employer (as of yesterday - woohoo!) moves dozens of these a day - apparently they're popular, so parts won't be difficult to obtain.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

sweet! now to further research and find out what sae pattern each auto is and what a 3116 and 3208 cat requires :thinking:

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

can anyone tell me which trans would have the SAE#2 bolt pattern?

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

also another question. the alison autos that I would be using for the CAT 3116 do not require and sort of computer eletrical hookup do they?

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Depends on the vintage. An older one will probably only require a shifter linkage and some sort of speedo cable. Some of the newer ones use a "touchpad" shifter; some are meant to be behind a computer-controlled motor and need inputs from that computer. Some have electronic speedo pickups and need a compatible speedo to go with it.