Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All 1/2 ton people

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyHuny, May 2, 2002.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

OK Im sure that this post is going to turn into a ream Mandy for what she is about to say post but im going to say it anyway.

Im offended. Now maybe Im taking this the wrong way but when I picked up my favorite magazine today I saw something I didnt like. First off thanks to Jeremy for giving me the subscription as a Christmas gift, your a sweety.

The magazine is Petersons 4Wheel & off-road. Like every month I was very happy to see it in the mail and even more happy to get cozy and go through every page. But this month has gotten me a llittle mad.

On page 30 there is a arcticle called "Raising the Titanic". Its a arcticle about Rancho's 4-inch GM HD Lift. The arcticle talks about how "they" will continue to buy huge trucks to get the benifit of big-blocks, diesels and full floating axles. This is all in great to me. Im fine with that and if I used my truck for just wheeling I would go with that too. But the arcticle goes on to say that "fortunatly the aftermarket has been right on top of this and 3/4 and up truck trend and has come to market with everything the 1/2 ton guys have been enjoying on their wimpy little trucks".

WIMPY LITTLE TRUCKS? I realize that larger trucks can handle more then my truck can but to pick up my favorite magazine and see my truck being called WIMPY just made me put the magazine down and not want to pick it up again.

I know most of you guys and gals on here have bigger then 1/2 tons and I have nothing againts that. I just feel that calling a 1/2 ton truck WIMPY in a magazine that also does arcticles on suzuki samaris and features GEO trackers (wich I think are great too) shouldnt be calling 1/2 trucks WIMPY becuase im sure allot of the readers (like myself) own them.

Am I wrong for thinking that more then just 3/4 ton owners would buy and read a magazine that says 4wheel drive on the cover? I must have been mystaken to think that if samaris and geos are good enough not to be considered WIMPY for the mag that a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup 4x4 would be ok too.

I think big huge trucks like 3/4 tons and 1 tons are great, so please dont think im offended and ranting on them. Im just a little offended about my favorite mag calling 1/2 tons WIMPY.

<font color=red> THIS POST IS NOT FOR PEOPLE TO START ON a who is better then who trip becuase that is certainly not why I started it. </font color=red>

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I agree, they should never had said that. You should just get rid of that magazine and never read it again. BUT since I have a 3/4 ton, you can forward you subscription to me./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ah... Peterson's is like all these 4x4 mags, they print whatever crap they think will sell.... cuz they have big bucks advertisers trying to push parts so they print stuff to sell their parts, which they have too so they will continue to pay them for ad space... I'll take my whimpy 1/2 ton drive train and axles anyday over this new crap... it's paid for, does what I want it to do and that what matters. I am learning to wrench on it so hey anything whimpy someone does themselves to me is more impressive then any new store bought beef....

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Petersen's goes in spells like this - a couple of years ago they were in everything except Jeeps sucks mode, now it's D60 or die!! I actually had a subscription to them way back when flourescent pink Silverado stepsides sporting 44"s on chromed 10 bolts was the norm. Personally I've given up on the print media altogether except for Southwest OffRoad News.

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I agree with you all. The guy who did that article is David Kennedy and he writes other articles with half tons in them but doesnt say anything about them being wimpy. Hes a 1/2 ton back stabber!! lol

6. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

i drive a 1/2 ton and agree that its pretty dang wimpy. mostly because teh rear end is a sad joke and the tranny may as well be painted pink. my pile of shredded 10 bolts could be a modern art masterpiece.

7. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

mmmkayyyy and that would have what to do with a magazine?

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Personally, I agree. I wouldn't really call my truck "wimpy". Maybe "not as tough as a 1 ton, but tougher than an S10"... lol.

If someone handed me a pair of D60's, I'd sell 'em! Heck, seeing how people will spend a grand on them?? That's 2 sets of tires for my 6-lug 1/2 ton wheels!

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

All the 4x4 mags have gone down hill... the only one I was happy about was 4X4 Power

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I think 1/2 tons are wimpy. Heck... I blew up my rear 10 bolt with 31's. Now about the magazine... it looks like he is comparing the 1/2 ton to 3/4 and 1 tons, and if that is the case... yes it is wimpy. However a 1/2 ton is not wimpy when compared to a Sami or Tracker like you are doing. So it's all in how you look at it.

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You run 1/2 ton stuff and if someone handed you Dana 60s you would sell them?

Strange.

Ken H.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am 1/2 ton right now... and *I* think me rig is wimpy! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Why else invest the ca$h to go 1-ton?! My 1/2 ton axles have served me well, but if you wanna take a full size rig, running Eaton steel wheels and 39.5x15 TSLs into rocks... you had better have somethin' beefier than 1/2 ton axles. That kinda hardware will snap a factory 10-bolts tapered 28-spline shafts like a couple of twigs... and if its semi-float... it may send a wheel hurtling off your rig too! doh! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

There are lots of things you can do to make a 1/2 axle beefier... and I have done many of these to my 10-bolt... but at some point the type of useage and the added weight of bigger tires and rims are to much for that size an axle. Its not a "diss" on 10-bolts... just a reality.

J

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Not so strange when you consider my wheeling is concrete highway, unpaved/maint. forest road, and mud! Nothing against it, it's not something I need, I'd rather have the cash I could get for it!

14. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've heard of and seen too many 1/2 tons with stuff broken from moderate wheeling at worst to just street driving to trust them with anything much beyond 33's if I plan on wheeling it./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Even the good ol' 12 bolt and the later, stronger 30 spline 10 bolt.

Oh, and Suzuki Samurai, Sidekick, Geo Tracker, and many other small import axles are weaker than a 10 bolt or other 1/2 ton gear in a straight up comparision, but also think about the weight, size, and power of the vehicle. Lots of guys are running 33" tires, including Swampers, and even taller tires on stock Suzuki running gear and wheeling the piss out of them. That'd be like putting 38's on half ton axles and then going rock crawling. Just a word of defence for the Suzi's./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> True ! I think the price of the one ton stuff has gotten out of control too ....... They aren't even reasonable for most as an upgrade option since everybody who has them to sell tries to rape you on the price ! I know what you'll all say, " It's worth it for the strength and how it's bullet proof ! " Fine, I'll give you that, there's no denying the qualities they have ...... I'm just saying, in comparison to the 14 bolt rears ...... The prices are out of line ! I'll get ready to be berated now !

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yea I know... and I wasn't knocking the sami's, just trying to get the point across that the magazine was comparing them to 3/4 and 1 tons and she is comparing them to trackers and sami's.

17. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> That's basically how it should be looked at ....... The magazine is focussed on the big hitters, so a 1/2 ton would be considered wimpy ......... but on the flip side, a 1/2 ton is hefty as compared to the smaller Samuri rigs that are mentioned ! It's that simple ! I wouldn't take offense to it so bad.......... Your 1/2 ton kicks ass because it's yours anyway ! Don't compare it to everybody elses .......... I sure don't do that with mine ...... Hell, It's mine ..... not theirs ...... ya know ?? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Would that mean that 2 1/2 tons are overkill?

Ohh wait.. that explains the sig! HaHa j/k

19. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

just feel the need to clairfy---

when they are talking about the "Rancho 4 inch GM HD lift"

they are not talking about a regular lift- what they are talking about is the lift that would fit my 2500HD,,,which is not to say its any different really than the regular 3/4 lift etc..However, what they are saying that is correct, is that the market has been on top of this 3/4 and up trend, for the reason that hardly NOBODY is buying regular 1500 and 2500 trucks, just about EVERYONE is getting the HD trucks, normally its not for the HD suspension- its for the 8.1 or the Duramax...the HD trucks are NOT off-road vehicles, they are cadilacs in truck garb...the point the author was trying to make, I think, is that there are those of us that are buying these trucks for the primary reason of the diesel, the 8.1, etc..and we want our trucks lifted...hence, the fact that Rancho, Rough Country, and a few other's have already got the kits out..they were pretty quick if you ask me....I'm not saying my 2500HD is "better" than my K5, I'm not saying it's not..they are completely different vehicles, and you can't put them in the same context, and have it be a fare comparison,,,yes you can take an 86 K5 with 1/2 tons, and compare it to a 86 K5, with 3/4 or 1 tons, but you can't compare my K5, to my 2500HD, TOTALLY different...

just my .02 and it probably doesn't make any sense!

Brandy

20. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

This post was <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> intended to compare 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons and who is wimpy and who is not. Thats silly to start a comparison. I think it all depends on what you use your vehicle for and Im not going to dump a ton of cash into huge axles on a vehicle I drive every day. Im not even going to go there. <font color=blue>This post was about the fact that a magazine arcticle inteded for people who own trucks just called 1/2s wimpy (wich happens to be what allot of their readers own) and now I dont want to subscribe to a magazine who cut off some of their readers just to boost up thier advertisment.</font color=blue> <font color=purple>I dont care if a 1 ton is stronger then my 1/2 ton. If I want a 3/4 ton ill go get one. If I want a 1 ton Ill get one.</font color=purple> Like I said IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT EACH INDIVIDUAL USES THEIR TRUCK FOR. <font color=red> I dont beleive in "who is bigger then who or who is BETTER then who" and thats why that magazine just lost one more reader.</font color=red>]

<font color=red>So I hope this post doesnt continue on a who is better then who trip becuase that is certainly not why I started it.</font color=red>

I agree about 4x4 power. I have one sitting on my end table now /forums/images/icons/smile.gif