Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All 4 wheels spin except when....#PICS#

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, May 12, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Front Dana 44 with limited slip
    [​IMG]

Rear 14ff with Gov lock
    [​IMG]

here is what I did, I put the truck up on jacks and tried to spin one tire front then went to the rear. Both ends only one tire turned of course the one I was spinning and the other just stood still. I then started the truck put into 4hi and low gear. I let off the clutch and all 4 wheels were spinning in the forward direction. I then tried to stop one tire on the front and rear and had no resistance in the front and little in the rear. Is this crap working right? If not what could I do to fix it without the same old CK5 qoute,"Get a detroit baby"

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

thats definately not a limited slip front diff. it's open as open gets. I can't tell about the rear, but it sounds like it too.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah the D44 is open for sure... I am not 100% on this, but i think a Gov-Loc works by allowing one tire to overrun the other to a certain speed and then once one wheels is overrunning the over by that speed, it will lock up...But I am not for sure on that...I am a DEEEEETROIT boy myself (F&R)

Chris

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That front limited slip is not going to lock till it gets some power behind it unless the clutches are smoked. I can about gurantee that if you got both rear wheels off the gorun and one front wheel of the ground and gosed it it would pull.

Same with Gove locks. They have a weighted axtuator that also needs the wheels to trun at different speeds to work. Again the clutches could be smoked.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats definately not a limited slip front diff. it's open as open gets. I can't tell about the rear, but it sounds like it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Front could be like a Trac-Lok, which uses clutch packs under the side spider gears, so it looks like an open diff but its not. The front is probably wore out in this case, with my trac-lok dana 44 both tires spin the same when its jack off the ground.

With the gov-lok 14 bolt, which that is, it does not work like a typical limited slip with clutch packs. It has some gizmo's and widgets and what not inside, so it acts like an open diff a lot of the time, such as having the tires off the ground as described. With a 14bff gov-lok, probably most gov-loks, I think they work like an on/off switch as far as function goes. Difference is its more like works/broken with the gov-lok /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

gov lock works by tire rotation. It basically stays open until one tire spins 100 rpm faster than the other. Then a governor (hence the gov in gov lock) locks the rear diff. The 14B gov locks are pretty strong. The 10 bolts are gov bombs. The problem with a gov lock is that by nature you are running an open dif until you lose traction. Once the tire starts to spin you have a lot of rotational mass whit a good bit of energy that goes up the bigger the tires you have. Once the gov lock engages you put quite a shockon the side that isn't spinning. So when someone runs 35s on a 10b gov lock and gets in the skinny pedal things are bound to break.

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

just a thought try putting it in 2hi, and have half yer truck on gravel, other half on pavement, then floor it, if ya go then it is a limited slip, or gov-loc or whatever...if it doesnt it's either smoked or non-existent...and for the front this may not be safe but its all I could think of quickly...lift the rear up and support with jackstands. have the front tires one on gravel one on pavement put in 4hi and then floor it, if you just spit gravel you've got a toasted limited slip, or just and open diff, if it pulls ya off the jackstands then yer good to go..and hopefully didnt damage anything trying. just a thought

8. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

do not post this kinda crap again /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Zach your new so I'll say it nice. Language like that is NOT tolerated here at all. This is a family site. If ya wanna talk like that move on to pirate 4x4.

10. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

you might do that with your family but we do not tolerate it here this is the last time you will be warned /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The front looks like a Trac-lock....note the plates behind the side gears and the retaining clip. If you can either spin one tire by hand and the other tire does not move, or you can hold one tire still while the other spins (with the truck on jackstands) then it is either completely worn-out or something is broken.

12. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

You can check the operation of the rear gov-lock by jacking up the rear of the truck and spinning one wheel. Fast! Give it a few hard spins, then WHAM! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The lock will engage and stop the spinning. While off-roading it's hard to tell if it's working as there is no wham /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Personally I really like the gov-lock , and won't be buying a detroit unless it quits working. good luck.

13. stallion85

Sorry, I got back to this post a little late. You guys identified the front as a track lock, since the spider gears are still there could I put a lock rite up front or is the carrier useless now. I could rebuild the ls, but would rather have a locked front end. Also the gov lock in the rear....what would it take to put a detroit in it. I know I need a different carrier but how can I get one /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I am not quite sure what the carrier is. I know what the ring gear and spider gears are, still learning about this stuff /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That carrier is junk. You might as well buy a detroit if you decide to lock that axle.

15. stallion85

If I buy a detroit does it have it's own carrier or what? WTF is the carrier exactly??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

that front is definately a trac-lock (Sp?) the same thing that comes in zillion of jeep dana 30's

mike

17. stallion85

Can a rookie garage mechanic rebuild a trac loc and if so who sells the rebuild kits?

18. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Yes just about anyone with a slight mechanical aptitude can rebuild a T/L .
    The tricky part is getting the belveld(sp) spring to compress enough to get the small spider gears in along with the thrust washers that go behind them .
    A good trick is to get a large bolt & nut , along with two big heavy duty washers and compress each side so that the belveld spring compresses when you install the internals .
    Any differential/gear wharehouse should carry the clutches for a Dana 44 T/L NOTE: 3.92 and up carriers use an extra clutch disc so the clutch retaining clips are wider than the 3.73 on down carriers.

As stated a few posts above YES that carrier IS a T/L not an open diff .
    HTH , Tom

19. stallion85

I found a rebuild for the Trac lock, Will this work and is this an ok price. I figure for $50 I can have a little more traction till I get a locker /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Look here for product

20. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    gov lock works by tire rotation. It basically stays open until one tire spins 100 rpm faster than the other. Then a governor (hence the gov in gov lock) locks the rear diff. The 14B gov locks are pretty strong. The 10 bolts are gov bombs. The problem with a gov lock is that by nature you are running an open dif until you lose traction. Once the tire starts to spin you have a lot of rotational mass whit a good bit of energy that goes up the bigger the tires you have. Once the gov lock engages you put quite a shockon the side that isn't spinning. So when someone runs 35s on a 10b gov lock and gets in the skinny pedal things are bound to break.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the nic name "gov-lock" which was given to the Eaton locker refers to the governor which doesn't allow it to lock up over 20mph.