Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All a matter of time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

my best friend has that exact gear drive on his '72 jimmy... we can always tell when he is coming, it sounds like there is a cat in heat caught in his fan belt /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Gotta love that sound !!! Sounds like a blower !!!!

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of getting a PJ geardrive for my 454 Chevelle. It has a pretty radical cam and sounds mean as hell. I figure between the lumpy idle and the PJ gear drive.........some 12 year old girl might think I actually had a huffer under the hood. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    some 12 year old girl

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    m... sounds like there is a cat in heat caught in his fan belt /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you want a gear drive, but don't want that distinctive noise try one of the designs that uses a single idler. If accurate cam timing is what you're after then you really want one of the new belt drives as they don't introduce the harmonics to the cam (can you say spark scatter?) that gear drive does.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've got one in my 388 Stroker. They do sound awesome most of the time, except when you are trying to listen for an exhaust leak, or for a noisy lifter, or a valve that needs adjusting. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The best thing about them is that they are not a chain. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif