Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ALL Cadillac Eldo Caliper people HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Nov 23, 2003.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok I was trying to adjust my ebrake lever and the DAMN piston just popped out. Is there some kind of trick to get this thing back in its home. JUST GO TO YOUR HOME!!
    I tried getting it back in there and turning the bolt on the ebrake but it just turns and turns like its not catching on that huge bolt on the inside?? HELP!!

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Your not going to want to har this....But apparently if the piston comes out, they DONT go back in...I remember the guys at offroad.com accidentially did this and had to buy new calipers.

Hopfully somone will come out an contradict me...:S

3. CaveBlazin

PLEASE SAY THIS AINT SO!!! SOMEBODY OUT THERE AHHHHHH

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had both of mine completely apart to rebuild 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Don't worry about the jack screw too much. Take the lever off of the jack screw and remove the screw from the bore. Now turn the piston so that it is open-side-up and insert the screw into the piston. Next, hold the caliper so that the piston bore is facing down and insert the piston from the bottom. You can use a big C-clamp to get it started. But don't go too far with the clamp, as part of it will be covering the hole where the jackscrew comes out. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Once the piston has started into the bore, remove the C-clamp and insert a 3/4-inch (or so) socket between the caliper and the clamp, so that the open part of the socket faces the hole where the jackscrew will be coming through. Now continue pressing the piston into the bore until it is fully seated. The end of the jackscrew will come through the hole in the caliper and then you can reinstall the e-brake lever arm. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, don't mess with the e-brake lever any more until the caliper is ON the truck and has pads installed. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. CaveBlazin

*was sweating like two rats screwin in a wool sock there for a minute* I'll try that now thanks Harry!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif