Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All drip deflectors created equal?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KiwiK5, Feb 16, 2005.

1. KiwiK5

KiwiK5 Registered Member

I've read a lot about deflectors in other threads, but I haven't seen any comparison of new parts from various suppliers.

LMC sells theirs for $23 a pair.

Early Classic Enterprises has a set for $39.

Is Early Classic gouging? Is LMC selling crap?

The original deflectors are stiff rubber stuff molded on metal plates. I can imagine that fabricating new ones without the metal might be cheaper, but also might make them less effective.

I've had a chance to look at the Early Classic deflectors. They are molded on metal and feel substantial, but $40 sounds steep, especially when I haven't had a chance to really check out the competition.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I wish I knew......

That IS one of the frustrating things about these older trucks. A lot of the parts are all repros from China/Taiwan, but it's hard to know if a "real" replacement part exists (NOS) or at least a higher quality reproduction.

The difference in price might seem to indicate that the parts are different (and one might be better) but it's equally likely that they are the same and one company is just "soaking" you more....

If it was an important part, I might be tempted to buy one of each....compare them with my own eyes and send back the one I didn't want. :deal:

3. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

That is totally remarkable! I was just looking for some of these the other day and was thinking the exact same thing as far as Early Classics vs LMC. Unfortunately I never made a decision and ordered some. Let me know which you go with and how it turns out cause I am definitely in the market.

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I ordered mine from GMC Pauls.They have the metal inside and all the holes lined up perfectly.Nice soft pliable rubber as well.

5. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

My LMC's tore after about 18mo.:crazy:

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I am just going to run without them since I don't like the look of the deflectors running beyond where the door is cut above the window.