Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All electric dash?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Oct 18, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I have a 87' K5 with the stock dash guages and a aftermarket tach. could i order some of those fancy lightup LED guages? the back of my guages all have those screw thingys that the wire goes onto. any one do this or know of a set of guages that will look good and work easily?

edit: I am looking for some digital gauges. thanks

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  2. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

what about part number NRD-DP9255 over on summit.com? i know it doesnt say its for a truck but it does say its for a el camino...i dont want to spend over $500...anything else? i will be making a new dash when i get my cage in.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Car gauges are quite a bit different than trucks. Actually a lot. The general idea is the same, but size and connections are different. Anything can be made to work, but that would take a lot of work to make look good.

The gauges are lit by the twist in bulbs, what are you talking about with wires going to the back of the gauges? Stock they don't have any exposed wires, it's all PCB. You can buy replacement 194 bulbs that are LED's, (ebay probably has some, a google search will net thousands of results) but I have no idea how they handle the dim feature, and if it's your job to cut down the voltage going to the new bulbs.