Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All electrical Gurus, Tell me why I just got the sh!t shocked outta me????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Jul 24, 2003.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have an old grinder, belt driven by 1/2 HP motor and a drill press right next to it, I was wearing flip flops with about a 1/2" of rubber sole...
    I had just used the grinder and was using the press next and needed something to shim the piece I was drilling, so I reached over by the grinder for a small turnbuckle that was lying on the bench and as soon as I touched it "BAM"
    The press wasn't running, the grinder wasn't running, but I was touching the press when I touched the shim I was gonna use, I don't know if I had bumped the grinder motor or not, I was busy trying to remove my arms from their sockets...Any thoughts, the press has a new plug but the grinders is kinda shot??? bad ground maybe??? Help ,it fawking hurt like hell...
    I'm a firm believer in people who are prone to be electrocuted or struck by lightening and I am one of those people... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

static?? build up from using the press then ground yourself on the metal body of the grinder? Dunno

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I thought the same thing, that static built up in the grinder motor itself, thats why I don't think I even touched the motor itself just near enough to it and touching metal with both hands, it hurt like a mutha and the worst shock I've ever had was static and I've been bit by my distributer and 110...Can you guess where I am during a thunderstorm...?
    I'm not joking when I tell you electricity goes out of it's way to go through me... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

from what i understand you were holding the grinder as you reached over to the drill press. It could be that the two are in separate circuits.

here's a breif explanation, (most)houses are fed from 2 - 120 volt circuits. that is 2 - 120V and 1 common ground. you put these two together and you get your 240V, one common ground.

If the drill press was on one circuit and the grinder on the other you could be in for a big one. like what you described.

In a college class i burned up a 20k osciloscope cause my professor wrote up an experiment without thinking about the differential of using two power circuits. he blew up another one trying to show me that there was nothing wrong with his experiment and it was all my fault.

anyhow,
    you also mentioned
    [ QUOTE ]
    the press has a new plug

[/ QUOTE ]

are you sure the ground is ground and the power one is hot. if you swaped them your press chassic could always be hot and waiting for a good path to ground itself.

you may also check the outlets and make sure they are correctly wired too. time to get a good knowledgeable electrician out there.

ARQ.

5. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Pull the plug off your press and make sure that the ground isn't touching the neutral or the hot. If it is not, get a meter and check between the ground and hot, the ground and neutral, you should read open if your press is new enough.
    it sound like you became the path of least resistance.
    Also check from the hot to the metal part of the press, it should also read open. The ground to the metal parts of the the press depends on whether or not it's double insulated. But you should be able to determine that from the owners manual. I do not think that a press is double insulated, but if it is not, you should read a direct short from the ground leg to any part of the press that is metal and in a direct "non insulated" physical contact with the cable entrance on the motor.
    The neutral shouldn't be able to bite you unless the press is running.
    Do all of these checks while the press is unplugged.
    This can also be done as a continuity test instead of resistance.
    do these same checks on your grinder, Is your work bench or area that these are a metal bench?
    Just a guess with the info provided.
    Gorrilla
    Sorry, need to add this;
    The green screw is the ground, the white or silver screw is the neutral, and the brass screw is the hot.
    The list of what this could possibly be is long, but since you said that the plug is new, I would say to start thier.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think you guy's are gonna need a visual, I'll take pics tomorrow... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you guy's are gonna need a visual, I'll take pics tomorrow... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    hope its not complete with you having buckwheat looking hair /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read the title to this post, this is the first reply that came to mind...

Well fumes, get your pecker out of the plug and that won't happen". lol, Ya damn hippy. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I bet the two wires on the grinder are reversed. Hot and Neutral. There may not even be a ground on it. Anyway, the Neutral wire is same as ground. And it is electrically grounded to the case of the grinder. So if you have no ground on the plug and put the plug in upsidedown, or if you do have a ground post and the wires are reversed, you now have hot connected to the case so when you touch the case of the grinder and touch the GROUNDED case of the drill press you now have completed the continuity between hot and ground with your body. Happens in kitchens all the time between small appliances and the electric stove or fridge....

10. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I've got a drill press at work that does the same thing when it is running. Touch anything metal like another machine and you get it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ez fix is don't touch anything when it's running /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Sounds like either one of the case grounds isnt connected. or somehow you got into series between the drill press and the grinder. Check your cords for abrasions too.

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[​IMG] I just checked and I put a new cord on the grinder motor, could I still get shocked if it wasn't running and why didn't it trip the powerstrip???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You just found the secret to reversing your age! Aww Fumes is such a cute little boy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

looking at that pic I would say you have a bad case ground somewhere. You might have been isolated enough with your shoes but as soon as you touched something else it was enuff to zap you. Why didn't it trip the CB? Electricity is a theory........... I've seen guys grab onto an 8000 volt phase without their rubber gloves and get knocked to the bottom of the bucket, get a tingle another time, or nothing at all.

15. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

You definitely lost a ground but to go with it you probably have a short in the tool as well. Without a good ground you don't get the fireworks when the hot hits the metal.

I'd check the wires where they terminate on the motor because that's where most of the vibration is when you use it. Allot of the time the plastic grommet or the connector comes loose where the cord goes into the motor and eventually eats the insulation off where the wire is laying on the motor.

Just a thought and it could be on either one of the tools so check 'em both.

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tell me why I just got the sh!t shocked outta me????

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing you, It must have been a warning shock.
    You must have done something to piss off the big guy.

I'd hide if I were you... or quit streeking the retirement homes.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: All electrical Gurus, Tell me why I just got the sh!t shocked outta me?

Nice K&N keychain, wonder where ya got that? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

So the straws for faster "relief?"

And last but not least, mad chop skills ya got going there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I betcha a buck it turns out to be that one of the two machines is wired backwards. Neutral and hot switched... Prolly at the plug.

19. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I don't know...the neutral should only be bonded at the in the panel or at the XO in the transformer. It should be isolated at any equipment because its a current carrying conductor. Either way if the ground was made up it should short out and trip the breaker.

If it turns out I'm dead ars wrong looks like I'll be sending you a check for a buck. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Now who's coming over to fix it, cause I aint touchin it again.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif