Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All four wheels spin forward when on jacks except when...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, May 12, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ok here is what is in the front D44 limited slip
    [​IMG]

Here is what is in the rear 14ff gov lock
    [​IMG]

Ok here is what I did. I put the truck on stands and attempted to spin the tires with the truck off and in neutral. Ok I spin one tire front then rear but other tire stands still. Then I turn on the truck put in four wheel and low gear and let off clutch. All 4 wheels are spinning /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Then I try to stop one tire bothe front and rear and it stops pretty easily with only resistance a little in the rear. Does this mean that the gov lock and limited slip are shot or what. If so what could be some remedies that I could do besides the usual CK5 answer,"Junk the gov and ls and go Detroit or DIE!!!!!!!!!!" /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Looks like an open diff up front to me. A pic from the right hand side would confirm it, but that appears to me to be an open diff, not a limited slip.

When on jackstands you're always going to spin all four unless you put one tire on each axle on the ground and then you'll spin only the ones in the air.

Unless you have a locker or spool in either end, in which case, if any one tire is touching the ground in the locked axle, it's going to come right off the jackstands. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I believe the gov lock doesn't kick in till there is a 100RPM difference or something like that so that may have something to do with it. I'm not sure about the limited slip? Maybe the clutch packs are shot cause one would think that it would take quite the resistance to get one of them to stop?

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Let em spin and then grab a tire! You'll know then

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I concur, front diff is open. I don't see any coil or bent metal springs between the side gears.

6. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

looks like a trac-loc to me, there is no spring between the
    side gears, but you can see the clip that holds the clutches on the right side,

7. stallion85

It does have clutches that you can not really see on the right. My question is, can I toss it and throw a lock rite in it? Or is the carrier crap now? I am only running 35's and know that this will cause breaking issues with it only being a D44.

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey Jeff, what up?

As long as this is not your daily Driver, I say, "Damn the torpedoes", and go for it. Nothing is a better teacher than trying to do something you are not sure can be done. It is only money and steel. Did you happen to go see the live fire demonstration yesterday that Nellis put on out at the firing range? I would have liked to go see that, but I am not sure exactly where the Air force firing range is located. The local news only gives a general description of 20 miles North of Las Vegas on State Highway 95.

9. stallion85

I had an oppurtunity to go but had too much work to do. So you say go for the lockrite up front. Can I still use the original carrier even though there is a ls in it?

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You know Jeff, I know a lot of things about auto mechanics, but differentials are not exactly my specialty. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

According to the research I have done, and this is a Powertrax Lock-Rite we are talking about, as long as the carrier is OEM then it should bolt right in.

Here is a link that you can download installation instructions on it. You will probably nead Adobe Reader to view it.

http://www.powertrax.com/