Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

all glow plugs bad at same time?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Russell Keys, May 9, 2003.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I just started having a no start prob with my 83 Jimmy. According to the ways to test the glow plugs they are all bad. The chart in the Haynes diesel manual says that if all the plugs are bad then the controller has to be replaced. Then in a note it says..."the condition that causes all 8 glow plugs to fail will have damaged the controller." So if I was to replace the controller would it fail again? What causes the controller to fail? All the wires are hot when the relay cycles but it won't start. Of course when I tried to remove the old controller it broke off in the mounting plate. What would be a reason that all the plugs would go bad at the same time? I think I'm gonna try the push button switch, they want $95.00 for a new controller! Any help would be appreciated-Russell

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Did you try wireing a glow plugs up to a 12 volt sorce(battery) and seeing if they heats up then, if it doesnt go get some new plugs, and if it does, take a gander at your controler

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Try a search, or if I have time ill link some for you.

4. Russell Keys

I tried to check it that way. I'm gonna try it with jumper cables like I read in a prev. post. I'm kinda worried if I replace the plugs they will go bad again. They must be shorted because they don't looked burned at all.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Is thie a CUCV?

6. Russell Keys

no it's not. I replaced the plugs and all were bad. Of course the last one I pulled half the element broke off in the head! It's the back one on the pass side too. the evap box is in the way so I can't really get to it. I'm going to do a search to figure out how to get it out. Am I gonna have to pull the head off? Thanks-Russell

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ideas to get that broken part out:

Remove injector:

1. Shop vac with bag to verify contents
    2. Foreceps
    3. Finger with grease on the end
    4. Needle nose pliers

One person said that they would just start the motor and it will come out. I don't like that idea at all. Too many dangers involved. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

What GPs did you put in? I hope you put the AC60s in. You won't have to deal with glow plugs again!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The reason that almost all the glow plugs failed is that the controller wore out and kept the plugs on for too long of a time, burning them out. I'm assuming from your description that you have an '82-84 truck with the old style thermal controller. These never worked well anyway, and I would not recommend replacing it with a new one. Either convert to the '85-93 controller, or just go with a manual push-button system.

Follow the advice above for getting the broken GP tip out.

Casey

9. Russell Keys

I ended up pulling the injector and sucking it out with a shop vac. I'm glad I keep 3/8" fuel line around. I just taped a piece into the end of the hose, stuck it in and crossed my fingers. I think the best sound I've heard in a while was that piece rattling up that hose! I don't think starting the motor is a wise choice. Bad things will happen. I replaced them with the AC60g's. that's what the book called for and what people here recommended. Thanks, Russell

10. Russell Keys

Now that I think about it the glow plugs did stay on for a pretty long time the morning before my problems started. I couldn't swing the $95 for a new controller so I used an old horn button I had and wired it in. When the old controller broke off it left enough in the mounting plate to keep it sealed from leaking coolant. thanks, Russell

11. OFFRDK5

Glad everything is happy with your engine now. How do the AC60s work? You may have to have an extended glow time in the winter since they light up just a bit slower!!

12. Russell Keys

they seem to be working fine. I need a little time to get used to the manual button though. My jimmy seems to idle rough now for a while after start up until it warms up. hopefully it just because the plugs aren't cycling automatically any more.? could there be another problem?

13. OFFRDK5

How long are you letting the GPs cycle for? The 60s are different than the 14s or the 9s. they need a bit more time to warm up.