Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All in the Mic radios

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Judd, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Has anyone here used one of the "All in the mic" radios such as the Cobra? I think either Midland or Maxon makes what seems to be the same radio, just a different name. The radios have all the controls such as channel selector, volume, on/off ect. in the handheld mic. The actual "radio" part of it is hidden. I have a Kia Rio that needs a radio but there is no place to mount one{except on the top of the dash}. If you have heard of them, can either one be modded for additional channels?

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not all radio's can have the "EXTRA"S" put in. It'll depened on what PLL it has. In small vichiles like a KIA, I would use slide bracket attached to the pass side of the console. Do you have room for a "sit on floor" console with or without cup holders ??? You can cut center out for shifter if need be. Just a idea that might work for you.

4. rebelk5frk

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Not all radio's can have the "EXTRA"S" put in. It'll depened on what PLL it has

[/ QUOTE ]

With the expo kits the pll has little to do with it. The whole purpose of the expo kits is to work around PLL's that are locked (like all radio shack radios are and most regular cb's are). It's more of a matter of room inside the case and if the parts are accessible to install an expo kit. The bad thing about expo kits is you need to have a "channel map" or frequency counter to know what freq you're on because most radios will have odd channel assignments on the extra freqs that don't normally match up to the export type radio channels. They are more cumbersome to operate than export radios.

Personally I don't like the "hidden" radios. You normally have to deal with limited features etc. There is almost always a way to install a "real" radio one way or another. Some cars just take more imagination than others. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Another option might be find a radio that has channel selector buttons on the microphone and tuck the radio under the seat or something. Once you get used to a radio you won't have to see it to adjust the knobs (how often do you really need to mess with anything other than the channel anyway?)

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Another option might be find a radio that has channel selector buttons on the microphone and tuck the radio under the seat or something. Once you get used to a radio you won't have to see it to adjust the knobs (how often do you really need to mess with anything other than the channel anyway?)

[/ QUOTE ] Like a RCI-2950

6. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I've got a Cherokee CM-5 mounted in the dash/ below the radio. Problem is that I ruined it trying to run a window mount antenna{SWR went ape crap}. Tried to get it fixed and it worked for about a month, then it crapped out again{this time with a Wilson Mag. mount. I liked the CM5 because of the extra channels but it is no longer made. I cut the radio trim plate to fit the radio and so far I've yet to find another that fits in the same place. I was just going to buy another trim plate and not cut anything anymore. That's why I was interested in the all in the mic Cobra.
    Anyway, anyone got a Cherokee CM5 for sale? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try a motor home (RV) dealler. The big Airstreams have a hidden unit with all the controles on the mic. Or check with your local CB shop if they can build a CB for you with a remote face plate. Normal controles on face that can mount on dash, with the body of the CB under seat. Wouldn't be hard to do. Could probley do it to about any CB you want. Just need a wire harness that runs from face plate to main body.

8. rebelk5frk

Like a RCI-2950

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif