Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All is not lost

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zack, Jul 5, 2000.

1. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

As SOME of you know I bought a 97 Grand Am GT and my parents told me I had to get rid of both my trucks (80 pickup and 79 K5) I stripped the pickup and off she went. I kept the np205 !! And I am pulling my freshly rebuilt 355 for my brothers race car, So I was gonna junk my k5 and get a sub. Well Mudzer (Neil) came to my house today and looked over my truck. He said it had potential. Then I started rethinking my thinking. I believe I am gonna tear my shitty body off my blazer and redo it from teh ground up for the 2nd time. Only this time I am gonna get a body that has a good wiring harness in it!!!!! I already painted the frame and I have new body mounts and stuff. I think while I have the body off I am gonna throw a 14 bolt and dana 44 that have been redone under there. I think i am gonna also do a big lift. (Yeah yeah i know 4" is practical but hey I wanna do it!) And I think I am gonna build a 3" exhaust system that sits high in the frame and make a shield between teh pipes and my body so it won't get hot floors. Heres my plan:

rebuilt caddy 500
    turbo 350 tranny rebuilt
    np205 tcase
    8 inch lift springs up front
    6 inch springs in rear with 4" shackle flip so it sits ass high
    corp 14 bolt with detroit and 4.10's
    dana 44 with ORD chrome moly inner shafts at least , and maybe a easy locker

NO BODY LIFT!! This is what ruined my truck!
    38" tires
    Of course I will have to get new driveshafts built. Anyone know how much these should run?

This should make for a bitchin ride!

I would like to personally thanks Neil for his motivation. Now if he'll just give me his money LOL

Actually if I wanted money I would go to Shawn.!!! LOL

Well thanks for listening/watching my rambling. If anyone has any suggestions.. especially bout the caddy 500 and where i can get parts and the adapter for it to my 350 tranny would be appreciated..

Zack Carlson
    previously deadbeat Zack for not paying Shawn his 5 bucks but that is all taken care of now

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds Like a Plan, as for the tranny, the Caddy has the BOP (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) belhousing pattern, what you might think about doing is getting a good BOP Th350 Case out of the junk yard and transfering the internals from your tranny, im assuming you have one already, other than that it sounds like a pretty sweet idea, if i could get away with it id throw a 69-70 buick 430-455 or a caddy 500 in mine, torque monsters, good luck man!

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

3. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I realize the BOP pattern and can get a BOP TH400 along with the engine but i dont' think it'll go into the np205.. So I think I just want the adapter so I can use my same tranny and stuff. So I guess the next question is does anyone know where I can get a good tub for cheap.. It doesn't even have to be that great of a tub .. all my prerequistes are its a 81 or newer, has a complete and good wiring harness and has good body mounts

4. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

5. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Damn...have you been inside my head? That is almost the exact plan that I had...except a dana 60

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

6. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Okay Neil this is a question mainly for you.. You have seen the extent of my (censored) body. Now do you Think I should pull the body off , do my business, take the body lift off, try to fix the body, and order a new wiring harness, or take the easy route and just buy another tub? Has anyone ever done a rewire job? My friend has a 52 Ford that he is restoring and bought a painless wiring kit. Its not that complicated just a whole hell of alot of wires! LOL Its also kinda pricey. We'll see I guess.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good plan. While you are redoing it you might wnat to go to a Dana 60 like 82Jimmy said hes doing.

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Zack,

Thanks for the encouraging words, I am glad to help. I would help anyone in the decision to either junk a K5 or keep it. You know what my answer is! Keep it, take your time, and do it right. Or at least what you think is right. Do your best, thats all you can do. There are always K5s that you wish were yours, but if you build yours right, the chances are, most people will want it. I think your Rig has potential, every K5 on this site started out way different than what they become. Hang in there and do the things that will net you the most functionality. Go 3/4 ton because of your lead foot! LOL Put in the Caddy for something different.

I would like to say, thanks for getting my parts for me. For all you that read this, I asked Zack to take apart a Dana44 3/4 ton axle for me (I bought it from him) so I could fit it in the trunk of my BMW, well he took it apart exactly how I wanted it! Good Job Zack, I would recommend buying parts from him to anyone.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

9. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the encouranging words mudzer.. To all the people wondering about my parts. EVERY single customer from me has been very satisfied except LowLevel who thought that i misrepresented my axles which I didn't. But anyone who knows me will vouch for me. Yes I admit on screwing up with Shawn but that wasn't about my parts . He gave me a timing cover. But I did finally pay him if that's any couselation.
    I am hoping to talk more with you all as the time goes by.
    Have a great day!

10. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

How'd the body lift screw up your truck? I'm kickin' around the idea of getting a 3 inch to compliment my 6 inch suspension lift and need some input.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

11. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

You can go looksee at my page if you want. Bodylifts are lots of work, and they sometimes unvail some rust and sh1tt better left alone.
    http://www.espen.coloradok5.com

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>