Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All mixed up

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Opinions, How would a pair or 10s and a pair of 12s sound ??? I realize I'd need a amp for each pair of subs. Just think it might be do-able.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Have you seen the post about Treo subs for sale in the "For Sale" area? Two 18's, which is what I think you originally wanted....

3. AudioMaster

AudioMaster Registered Member

In the industry there are a lot of opinions on this subject. Many guys try to put the different sizes together so they can get the tightness of 10s and the depth of 12s. To be honest I have only installed one setup like this. I was in a 2000 Nissan extended cab truck. But I have heard many. If you are going for ultimate SQ (sound quality) then you will want different crossover points for each sized sub and differently tuned boxes to maximize the sound. If you are going to just put them all in the back of the K5 then it really doesn't matter. Realisticly there is just so much reflected sound in the "square box" K5 that you won't hear a huge difference than if you went with all the same sized subs.
    For maximum SQ you could put the 2 12s in the back and the 10s in the front in the doors, floorpans or under the dash. This would allow you to have a very up front sound stage. This is the method used in some of the worlds best sounding vehicles.
    However, if you are just out for some solid bone crunching bass that still sounds excelent and gives you great SPL (loudness) then I would reccomend 4 12s. You can get 4 12s for cheap and run them off of 1 good class D subwoofer amp. This will tax your electrical system less and give you some killer sound.

~AM

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No, I haven't seen it. I was more thinking of 15s, but after readinng more and more, I got thinking 10s and 12s.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The idea I'm thinkg of is to build boxs on the sides between front seats and rear seat like Greg 72's for the 10" subs, and larger sidepanel boxs behind the rear seat like Tightwork has for either 12" or 15" subs. I do realize the boxs would need to be tuned for the subwoofers, and the crossovers would need to be set for the subs I'd be running. Part of the plan is a soft top, so I wanta be able to have good bass with the top off. Once I get a soft top, more then likely, the hard top will never go back on. {1976 half top K5 Blazer.}