Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All My Belts Came Off Yesterday

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrianDamage, Mar 7, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Cruising home after work (doing 70 on the interstate), and noticed that my steering didn't feel right...figured I'd pull over at the next exit and check the tires. I started off the exit and noticed the hand on the temp gauge had shot all the way up.

Got stopped and all 4 belts had come off (3 v-belts, and one serpentine). The belts were OK, just not on the pulleys. The only tools I had were a crescent wrench and a flat head screwdriver. The previous owner had stripped the bolt on the alternator, and replaced it with a smaller bolt and had a nut on the back. So turning the bolt with my wrench just caused both the nut & bolt to spin. I finally found another screwdriver in the back, used my knee to put pressure on one and pry onto the nut to keep it from spinning, while using the other to pry up on the alternator to put tension on the belt.

Drove it home sans power steering.

Got looking at it today, and there was a loose bolt on the power steering bracket...but I've also noticed that the pulley is severely warped. It will line up with the crank pulley on one side, then you start turning it and it is way off /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I don't know if this is what caused the belts to come off, or if it was caused by the belt grabbing it or something.

So I need a power steering pump pulley for a '87 K5 if you've got an extra. ( I put a thread on the parts board)

dang thang's hard to steer....I'm liable to add a couple inches to my arms by the time I get this fixed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

That might just do it. When the pulley isnt true anymore, it is liable to spin the belt at certain rpms enough to cause a harmonic imbalance (remember the picture of the bridge which on a windy day started doing the mambo?)

The other cause can be if the AC clutch or something seized up. That might just cause it to flop off, catch an edge on the other belts, and pop them all off. Just a thought.... hehe

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The other cause can be if the AC clutch or something seized up. That might just cause it to flop off, catch an edge on the other belts, and pop them all off. Just a thought.... hehe

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm..I'll have to check that. I haven't run the AC in several months because the compressor had started making noises like the bearings were going bad or something. Maybe it locked up /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif