Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All of a sudden a huge cloud of smoke....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, May 27, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I put a PS cooler on today hoping to help things run cooler. So here I am driving to Jiffy lube right before work to do the 500 mile breakin change. I did the math it was cheaper to have someone else change the oil. About 2 miles before I got there this huge cloud of smoke starts blowing out from my burb. It was big enough the car behind me about stopped. I figured I was on fire. Luckily I wasn't. One of the lines on the low pressure side blew off. My entire engine compartment and the whole underneath of the burb is covered in PS fluid. Holy hell that was scary. All I could think was there goes my new engine. The only reason for it I can think of is the higher flow from drilling out the pressure side bushing thingy created more pressure on the low flow side than the hose could handle. I guess I need to flare the hose a bit more. All is well. Any of you have a scary moment like that. I mean a time when you thought everything just went to hell in a handbasket, but it was really nothing big? Tell about it.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've seen rigs that did what you describe burst into flames seconds later so I'd say you were lucky.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, I had an incident with ATF on the exhaust manifold (due to an idiot PO /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ), so I think you lucked out. I imagine if, exposed to the right heat, any petroleum product (ie PS fluid) will burn.

Mine had 6" flames under the hood /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-- A

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess I need to flare the hose a bit more.

[/ QUOTE ]
    How did you make the connections between the hose and the cooler?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine had 6" flames under the hood

[/ QUOTE ]

My buddy's rig which was on the cover of Peterson's had about 6' tall flames coming from it when he shut it off and ran for the fire extinguisher

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What kind of truck is your friends? What month of petersons was it in? Why was there such big flames /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. scoutillac

[ QUOTE ]
    How did you make the connections between the hose and the cooler

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was going to use the factory crimped hose end, but the aluminum tubing had a pin hole. So I cut the hose and hose clamped it to a tube with fitting that came with the burb. The crimped part of the tubing wasn't real big. It almost looked like it was rubbed down. So when I get back home I'll add a little more crimp and double clamp it.

8. HarryH3

Typically the high pressure side is the one that uses crimped connections. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The low pressure side just uses hose clamps. Pressures on the high side can reach 1200+ PSI. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That will blow your cooler apart. Make sure that you have the cooler plumed into the low pressure side of the system. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

my wheel fell off twice from bieng walloed out. it was kind of scary once i was on the entrance ramp of the freeway, the other i was in the dirt off roading.

10. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    my wheel fell off twice from bieng walloed out. it was kind of scary once i was on the entrance ramp of the freeway, the other i was in the dirt off roading.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Er, I think you replied to the wrong topic. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any of you have a scary moment like that. I mean a time when you thought everything just went to hell in a handbasket, but it was really nothing big? Tell about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he replied to this from scoutillac in the first post of this thread /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. HarryH3

I thought it was a reply for the thread where the guy keep losing his aluminum wheels because he was using the wrong lug nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I think its the same guy but cant remember /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. scoutillac

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought it was a reply for the thread where the guy keep losing his aluminum wheels because he was using the wrong lug nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I might be dumb, but I'm not stupid. Or however you want to politicise the word.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pressures on the high side can reach 1200+ PSI. That will blow your cooler apart. Make sure that you have the cooler plumed into the low pressure side of the system.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I did double check everything before I even started to add fluid. I flared the tube a little bit and added another clamp. No prob since.