Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All over the road

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Dec 19, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Ok here is waht i did i changed the tierod and balljoints on one side i know that alignment is off but just to make me feel easier about whats going on
    I need someone to confirm.

Here is what happpens it will drive fine with a little burnout squeals up front prolly due to an alignment needing to be done.

when im driving it wasts to go either right hard or left hard with the tire squeals getting louder.
    its not very safe but i only have one more balljoint side to go and would like to get this all taken care of before i go for an alignment.

the drag links i will also be doing tomorow with the ball joints how much more messed up can it get when i replace the drag links?

im only able to drive 25-30 at the most

One bad thing about a K5 is when its a dd old and need to be worked on at the same time!!

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if the alignment is far enough off that the tire squeals, and it darts one way or the other, DONT DRIVE IT! :screwy: its obviously not safe. that squeal will quickly heat up a tire, and possibly blow it. being a steer tire, w hen you blow it at any kind of speed, you are F#^&$D! no control whatsoever. either get the piece of crap fixed, or get it off the damned road before you kill someone.

3. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

dude, just measure across the front of the tire treads from side to side, then the rear of the treads. Adjust your tierod to get those measurements as close as possible (slight toe in is optimal) Don't drive that thing again until you get the allignment close.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I will second this. You aren't necessarily totally screwed. I was driving a F350 flatbed dually (90psi in the tires for max weight carrying) on the highway with about a ton of granite headstones on the back when the passenger front tire blew at 70mph. The wife in the passenger seat about shat herself as chunks of the tire flew past her window and the blowout sounded like a gunshot. Luckily it was controllable and I got it off the road. But no way would I chance that if I knew there was a good chance it could happen, I was picking seat cushion out of my a$$ for a week after that, pucker factor of about 9.8 out of 10.