Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

all right, this is want i want to do...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Dec 28, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I want to take my truck to a good shop, have them seal my oil leak that i cant find, install an RV cam and lifter set with new valve springs, rocker arms and push rods (if i need them) and get my truck to run nicely. Anyone know how much someone would charge me? Is there anyone here around houston that i could pay to do the cam and lifters? I really need to get that oil leak fixed. I also have a bad lifter so im going to go ahead and change out the whole cam set. Will i need new rockers and springs for that cam? Is it worth switching to a full timing gear set with no chain? I really need to do this. What will i be charged? Thanks alot

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

There is alot of variables there. I big cost factor is where it is leaking from. A valve cover gasket isnt much work, but a rear main is.

As far as the cam goes, if you stay at a fairly low lift, the stock springs and rocker arms are fine. Although, if youre looking for more HP, you could get a set of roller rockers while you have it apart.

As far as the chain, I personally dont like the gear drive timing sets. Id stick with a double chain timing set.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you sure you have a bad lifter? An exhaust leak between the head and exhaust manifold can sound exactly like a bad lifter. Replacing the exhaust gasket is much easier than a cam swap. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

A cam swap is more complicated if you have a/c, which you probably have since you live in south Texas. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Most likely the system will have to be drained so that the condensor can be moved out of the way so the cam can come out of the engine. Either that or the engine has to be pulled. Either way it adds more cost to the job.

BTW, do you live in Kay or Katy? I lived in Houston for 8 years but don't recall a town named Kay near there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But your profile says Kay. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Is that just a typo? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    A cam swap is more complicated if you have a/c, which you probably have since you live in south Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh i don't need no stinkin a/c. i took all that crap off and run with windows down and top off. may not be as cold but still comfortable. later.

jacob

5. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

yes its a typo, i live in katy. I did have ac but ripped it all out and just keep the windows down. I wish i could find out wwhere that leak was coming from. When my truck sits it likeas down my fron differential hose onto the driveway. Its wet on the back of the passenger side valvecover. Its dripps down onto my headers and makes it smoke. the valve cover gaskets are new last week so it could be my head gasket? or no. How do i know if i have an exhaust leak that makes that sound?

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If at any time the valve sovers are over tightened it could warp them which would cause it to leak even with a new gasket. Id pull it back off and check the cover to see if that has happened. If its leaking off of the front my guess would be that its the front crank seal. If it is its about $8 in gaskets and a shop will most likely over charge you to do it. My $.02

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would stay away from the gear drives. for most of us, they are a great way to waste your money. i would spend that money on a set of rollor rockers. head gaskets on small blocks don't usually leak oil since the are no pressurized galleries through them. but valve covers bend and leak all the time! As far as the cam goes, i would stay away from some of the generic "RV grinds" and maybe look at comp cams 4x4 xtreme cams. they are more designed for the torque loads of 4 wheelin. although, depending on which cam you decide on, you could use the stock valve springs, you might want to invest in new. same with pushrods. comp cams can sell you a complete kit with ALL the parts you would need.