Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All SUVs are K5 wanna bes ya know..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Neil, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

It is cool to have an original design isn't it guys and gals!?! go south,warm up, hot women!

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It's very cool to have a "collectible" as I like to call them..
    Since K5's are getting harder to come by...

A well armed society is a polite society.UPDATED <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well no....Depending on your idea of what a SUV is there are several before. The Suburban/Carryall is older and probably the most rightfull to the term "First SUV". The Bronco and the Jeep were also in production before the K5. First K5 was 69. Jeeps date back to WWII. Suburban/ Carry all about the same time frame maybe older than the Jeep. First Bronco came out in 66 I believe. IH had the scouts out mid 60's also as well as their big SUV.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s&gt;communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s&lt;/a&gt;

Grim-Reaper

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

yeah but!!!!
    this is emotion, set the facts aside
    we can think our trucks are still the coolest. even if there are some that predate us they will never be as cool
    (ducking as i say this)i did however see a range rover rover defender that i thought "now that is good looking rig" then i thought yea but i would be affraid to scratch it at 50 grand

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I am prob wrong but I think the suburban/ carryall dates back to the late 30s- early 40s. I may be wrong but I keep thinking of a pic I seen in a magazine some time back w/ a pic of a sub. that was WAY old!!

Out of 100,000 sperm, YOU were the fastest?? [​IMG]

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

saw a similiar comercial on tv for the new burb, and showed a 20's or 30's burb, but then anything is possible on tv

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The pic I seen was like an old sales catalog type pic like they still have today in the dealers.

The commercial I never saw. Like I said it was way old,looked like a 30s or so model.

Out of 100,000 sperm, YOU were the fastest?? [​IMG]

8. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Hey, K5's arent SUV's, there is nothing sporty about them, they are full sized pickups with an awesome idea of a convertable top. I refuse to ever call my truck an SUV. that would just be degrading.

Check out my 73 K5 members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

9. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The Suburban Carryall was first made in 1935. The first 4wheel drive Suburban became available in 1958.

<font color=purple>L8R..

chevy<font color=green>4x4</font color=green></font color=purple>

10. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

yeah i don't like calling my truck an SUV/...i also call it a ....thing....yeah just my two copper circles

high

11. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

if i were to label it anything other than a k5 or blazer, it would be "suburban coupe"!!! that sounds sporty!!!!

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I never heard the term SUV untill The automakers needed a trendy new term to describe the "Station Wagon". So they took a bunch of recycled beer cans, Put in an anemic engine and A rubber band drive train and caled it a SUV.
    It wasn't until the automakers degraded 4x4s in to "grocery getters' thet the term SUV was coined.
    I always considered Blazers, Broncos, Jeeps, Scouts, Travelalls, ect, True 4x4s not SUvs.
    To use SUV to describe my K5 is offensive.

<font color=orange> You are just jealous, because the voices only talk to me.</font color=orange>

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I have read recently, and I believe it to be true that the term "Sport Utility Vehicle" was coined by GM for an ad campaign for the S10 Blazer/Jimmy when they first came out.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

You know that "rubber band drivetrain" concept is not far from reality. Nissan released one of those tiny cars (the ones that fit between the lugs of our tires) with an automatic transmission that instead of having 3-4 gears, only have some sort of cone through which a belt (rubber band) drives the wheels. Instead of shifting through the gears, the transmission moves the belt from side to side to obtain the proper reduction in order to keep the engine at constant rpm (where the peak torque is). It's like having an infinite amount of gears.

Nice idea, but they still can't handle any moderate amount of torque, that's why it's only been used in tiny cars.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

15. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

SUV? I call it a truck, but my insurance company, for some reason, describes it as a station wagon body style. That was so depressing when I found that out.

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I read that too! The Burb was the forerunner of the fullsized/land yacht SUV - Willys Overland's wagon was the originator of the midsized segment, introduced in the late 40's.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>