Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All that wood--I bet it gets wasted...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Sep 1, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I was watching all the footage of the destruction on TV in LA and MS...I was wondering where all that wood from the houses and trees will go--not to mention all the cars and trucks that are totaled(good time to own a junkyard in that area I guess--I bet scrap prices fall as soon as all those vehicles get to the scrapyards! :( --better cut up what I have left to junk here quick! :eek1: )...

I also am willing to bet 90% of all that lumber and trees gets tossed in a landfill,or run thru a woodchipper,instead of being used to heat homes--I wish I had a tractor trailer,I could get enough wood to last a few years easy,and it would not go to waste..they would rather see us go bankrupt buying oil at 3+ bucks a gallon,than to see us heat our homes with free wood..It would save a lot of room in the landfills..but they will probably just pile it up and bury or burn it all in one pile.. :doah: :( :crazy:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've picked up a bunch from cut trees. Of course, we only get about 20 nights a year that I can actually burn it. :doah:

3. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

It is a shame that in times of crisis that we loose sight of things like using the wood or steel for other uses

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:rotfl: ...I think...

I do somewhat agree, though. It looks like there will be a lot of used lumber available in that area at some point.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

That wood is going to be laying around for a while - long after the flood waters are gone. MAybe those who could use it could go down there with a couple of semis, load them up with wood, bring it back, sell it for low cost (enough to pay for your expenses) and give you a season or three of free heat. Everyone else will be way too busy to care about an unauthorized wood cleanup.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

A thought just occurred to me... I wonder how much of it is treated and not burnable...

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

All the nasty stuff in the water is now in that wood. The wood will be moldy and nasty pretty quick.

The powers that be will be dozing it up into burn piles soon I would bet. At the very least, they will truck it away, and likely burn it elsewhere.

Who knows for sure... it's a big mess, and it's going to be a big pain to clean up... but somehow it always gets done.

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I would go down there to haul away all of the chevy 1 tons. :D

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yipe!

"I'd Go down there to haul away all the chevy one tons!"

Hmmm..never thought of that..all those Dana 60's sitting under 20+feet of water...and all will be scrapped.. :frown1: :frown1: ...