Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

all these BBC post..motivated now..

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75k5, Oct 1, 2005.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

dun, dun dun,

im back to haunt the 1st gen forum, all these big block conversations are killin me!

since I pulled the 71 out of storage I have been quite busy, right now I am laboring away on boxing the frame, and let me say anyone who thinks boxing a chevy frame is a fun or easy job is just plain nuts, i have been doing so much grinding and welding I think Im talking to myself. :screwy: Also just about getting the new firewall right and reworking the windshield frame is coming right along,

ill post some pics soon, this weekend I plan to fire up the big block and get motivated, the neighbor next door over is into jap cars and he just loves the sound of his exuast, but he has never heard a big block with 3 inch open headers..i think he is just as excited to hear it as I am, :D

the nutty part is by the time I finish this thing I wonder if Ill be able to afford to drive it more then once a week lol :crazy:

i just need to remember I started with this..

[​IMG]

2. supersize75k5

3. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Man, that thing is coming along. I really like the smooth firewall. I want to do mine like that.......one day :wink1:
    I assume those are aftermarket front fenders? How did they fit? How straight are they?
    My neighbors are gonna love me too when I fire up the BBC with open headers :yikes: I'm debating if I should just try to jimmy-rig the old exhaust (probably with duct tape :D ) to get it to the exhaust shop.
    Keep up the good work!

4. supersize75k5

ya the neighbors are more excited to hear it then I am.

I guess I figured I have alot of work to do that doesn't seem to cost me more then time, so im knee deep in the truck right now,

as for the fenders, those are from ricks pick up parts, there are licenced gm resto pieces, I looked at a couple aftermarket fenders from a couple shops and these were the most recomended and his shop is 10 minutes away. They ran 150.00 each and they are really strait.

as for the firewall, I deleated the rain gutter and I just finished up making the clearance pocket in the new fire wall for the tall valve covers, its pretty darn slick. Also Im thinking up a way to round the windshield frame, I cant afford a custom windshild right now so im going to finish the truck, paint it and when I get it how I like it Ill chop it down some and toss in a custom cut windshield.

the only bad part about all the metal work is that is all needs to be smooth for paint, and that should prove to be a big challange and really test my sanity.

also i have been working on filling and smoothing the whole dash, when you pull up the dash pad there is a zillion holes, Im filling all those, as well as the defrost and speaker holes, I want to pull off the look of an early rod of some sort..

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Burning Rubber...were is the peal-out smily when you need it :bow:
    BBC trucks are cool! :D

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

how about this for a smooth firewall. :D

[​IMG]

7. supersize75k5

:bow:

thats what I am aiming t pull off, but mine wont have the brake booster/mc and lines in front of it,

thanks for posting that pic, it reassures me that the work is worth it, :laugh:

one thing though, is I am thinking about fabbing up my own wheel weels, I I dont like the way the factory ones look, or I am thinking about ditching them all together, but I dont want the paint on my firewall to get trashed.. :thinking:

or maybe make some partial fender wells, or half fender wells that only cover the back half??? I dunno It looks good in my head anyways :confused:

8. supersize75k5

how do you guys choose your valve covers??

I am thinking about a non polished aluminum fabricated valve cover :wink1: also pondering with haveing the frame powdercoated a silver color, its around 600 including sandblasting??? Ill cross that road when the metal work is done though..

9. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

here's an idea for inner fenders, this is a 55 chevy, but some more ideas.

red 55 chevy 03.jpg