Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All ya'll with 8" lift, what to do with brake lines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

All ya\'ll with 8\" lift, what to do with brake lines?

I have about 8" on my weekend truck, and have the procomp SS extended brake lines..... They look just about too the limit! As soon as I drop a front tire and stuff the other, I'm going to be stretching it! Is there a hose out there that will extend them, or where can I get longer ones? THese are about 26" already! The rig is an 87 Blazer, THanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: All ya\'ll with 8\" lift, what to do with brake lines?

I was going to make some 34" ones but have to decide if the liability would be worth it. Not sure how many I could sell but not enough to pay for one lawsuite thats for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i have the same lines as you do.. i haven't had any problems with them, but i could a use little more length.

steve, what would those line run if you were to make them???

4. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I made my brakelines. I got Earl's fittings and lines from the shop here in town that sell to the circle track guys.
    I got a banjo fitting with a 4AN outlet on it and an adapter to go on the factory hard line at the frame. Then I let the axle droop and tuurned the wheel to lock and measured. The guy in town sells 4AN lines made for brake applications in lengths fom about 2" up to 12" in 2" increments. After that he only stocks 16",18", and 24" but I'm sure longer ones are available.
    The cool thing about this is that if you change lift, axle, or somehow cut a steel braided 4AN line, all you have to buy is the new line.
    I did the front lines and the back for around $60, alot cheaper than Pro Comp or some of the others. I got the adapters, banjo fittings, and 24" lines for a guy I work with who has an 8" lift on his 78 chevy that he runs in mudbog races. He says they worked out great.
    I'm sure you could sell the ones you have and get the adapters and lines from summit or anybody else that sells Earl's or Aeroquip fittings and probably break even.
    If you want PM me and I'll go down to the race car shop and ask Marv for the part #s of the adapters. I did mine a couple years ago and don't remember what they are.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

My buddie had the longer brake lines, (longer than 26") and he ended up not being able to drive home one day because they got ripped up wheeling. They might work better if they were routed out of the way though.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I had some +12/+15" lines made locally, forget what I paid, seems like around $80 or so for all 3 including all new hardware. I remember making a post with all the particulars 10 months ago or so, you can probably search it out. Anyway, mine have springs holding them out of the way (like a side ways U), and if they need the length, the springs allow them to pull out straight as needed. I've also heard bad things about the SS lines out here in the desert. Some claim to have abrasion problems due to dirt under the braiding. <shrug> No idea if it's true, but I've got rubber and couldn't care less (and wouldn't pay more for) about the SS braiding...

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm running Skyjacker 8" front springs and Skyjacker extended braided lines. I also have the metal brackets that reroute the brakelines under the frame instead of through it.

8. CK5

That's pretty close to what I was going to do, for me I have to justify selling what, 10 to 15 sets a year and be one law suite away from retirement just doesn't seem worth it, I could do the "Off-road only" disclaimer but just not sure it would be worth it in the long run.

9. CK5

Well, being they would be longer that what you could buy off the shelf, prolly around 100. for a 3 line kit, funny thing is, I could have some DOT legal lines made but would need around 5,000. or more to get started, I don't think I have the sales volume here to do that right now, I already have enough stuff that I can't sell. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. CK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I've also heard bad things about the SS lines out here in the desert. Some claim to have abrasion problems due to dirt under the braiding.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have heard that is a common problem with SS in that environment, SS lines become yet another maintenance item on your rig.

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also heard bad things about the SS lines out here in the desert. Some claim to have abrasion problems due to dirt under the braiding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard that is a common problem with SS in that environment, SS lines become yet another maintenance item on your rig.

[/ QUOTE ]

I geuss I will have to keep an eye on mine then, I am in the dust everyday.