Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All you guys with vacuum leak symptoms

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've been struggling to find a minor vacumm leak for the last few months. I'm happy to report that I finally found it!!!!

If any of you guys have a vacuum leak symptoms that are puzzling you, I would suggest that you check your vacuum advance. I checked and re-checked all my vacuum lines multiple times only to find by accident that the diaphragm in my vacuum advance pod was either sticky or punctured. To make a long story short, 20 minutes under the hood gave me a new vacuum advance and no more vacuum leak symptoms.

Here's a question- What exactly is the vacuum advance diaphragm made of? And what would cause it to puncture or get sticky?

Anyhow, maybe this will help one of you out there.

2. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Most are made of rubber. How old was your old vaccum advance? They can get old and dry-rot or crack. It probably wasn't punctured just deteriorated.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

AFAIK, the vacuum advance is factory, so it's conceivable that the sucker was nearing 20 years old.

Thanks for the info, brother!!

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm i should look at that..mine has a leak and you can hear it..when i mash the pedel..it will take a second to kick in..

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Vacuum advance? Oh yeah, that was used back when vehicles also had fuel delivery devices that utilized some of the same "technology" as a toilet tank. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif