Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All you truck owners, how much does your bed flex?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok10, May 26, 2004.

1. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

I have noticed that between the cab and the bed at full flex, they are missaligned about 5 inches causing the bed box to get all twisted. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but is this much flex normal on a un-reinforced frame? the /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif is a 73' K10 short bed for clarification.

thoughts? opinions?

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the most ive seen mine flex was about 3" on my stock k20.

3. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

Well, about 2 weekends back, i was out playing on this bank near our road and I took a hard line; the results of which were my tailgate getting rejected with force. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif (roops) So that's gone now. As far as how much my bed and cab were off, you'd have to ask my buddies who were watching. I assume it was bad.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They all flex quite a bit. Years ago I had a brand new F-150 short bed pickup that flexed so much that the bed made dents in the back of the cab. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check out the body line /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[​IMG]

7. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Looks a little chubby around the middle /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Oh, you mean the truck! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Yeah, those sliders really keep it straight! Mine is all over the place.
    Bed Flex RTI

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hey doug hows the body work coming??

9. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

My truck has about 4" of flex between the cab and bed. I want to make sliders that mount to the body, bridge under the tank with a heavy plate, then go up to the frame. But I don't know if this will limit my travel or make the ride uncomfortable. I like the way twistedjack's looks, how'd he do it?? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

when i got my truck, there is some paint missin on the back of the cab where they rubbed. I park on a berm everyday, pass side front tire on, drivers side in a hole more or less. and forget opening the tailgate. gets tight on one side other is big gap.

11. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't have a pic, but my dad's furd's body flexed alot when passing through a ditch to get to our firewood spot. I always heard it scream as it rubbed against the cab /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

My bed moves way too much. It has beat the fire out of the back of my cab and every time I get really twisted up, especially if it twists hard one way and then back the other way I get "go go gadget toobox" where it makes my toolbox lid pop open. I will have the frame boxed within the next 2 months and that problem will be solved.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "go go gadget toobox" where it makes my toolbox lid pop open

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like it's time for new body mounts. I highly recommend them. I'm willing to bet it'll solve your problem.

My truck isn't very flexy in the front even with 4" BDS springs but I have very limited frame flex. The body mounts (GM OE) are not quite two years old yet. The box diamonds a little bit when the tailgate is off but I still can open and close it. Keep in mind that my box has seen 20 years of rustbelt abuse and the cross supports look like swiss cheese. The front frame does twist a little bit in comparison to the core support.

For good measure, I have my box moved as far back as it'll go on the slots in the frame. I can fit my hand between the box and cab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, if you've got bad body mounts and tinker with your springs a bit like GMCLegacy did a couple-three years ago it's easy to get some wicked body flex.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even moderately bad body mounts are better than horribly wasted ones.
    [​IMG]

The simple solution is to get rid of the bed entirely.
    [​IMG]

16. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

cybersniper commin in with the mad pics!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

way to represent. thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif